Aftermarket Oil Filters And Oil

sapper_daddy

Hey i was wondering is anyone here is using a Wix filter on their LS? I know Wix has some of the best filters, but when i compared it to my old toyota filter is was la little shorter 2 cm or so. Anyone know if this is a horribly bad thing i just figured it would change how far the filter reached and no oil pressure lights came on. Also i usually use synthetic blend castrol on all on my vehicles because is contains the least addivitves as far as i've read. Anyone got some info to compare with mine?

OK....if I recall, there are only 2 major oil filter manufacturers in the US. There is a difference in the price you pay and the quality you get. For example: a Purolator premium and a Purolater standard filter are not the same. I would use a quality filter and not cut corners here.

Next, semi-synthetic oil....complete waste of your cash! Did you know the US govt only requires a semi-synthetic oil to be 25% synthetic to be semi. You could add 1 qt of pure synthetic to every 3 of base oil and save a few bones. This is what most quick lubes do. Semi-synthetic was only made to seperate a few extra $'s from your wallet for those hesitent to stepping up to full synthetic. If you decide to go the full synthetic route go for Mobil 1.

Now you're probably thinking "this guy is an a**" and how does he know this stuff. I used to be the oil and supplies procurement mgr. for an international quick lube chain.

Hey i was wondering is anyone here is using a Wix filter on their LS? I know Wix has some of the best filters, but when i compared it to my old toyota filter is was la little shorter 2 cm or so. Anyone know if this is a horribly bad thing i just figured it would change how far the filter reached and no oil pressure lights came on. Also i usually use synthetic blend castrol on all on my vehicles because is contains the least addivitves as far as i've read. Anyone got some info to compare with mine?

wix is a damn good filter bar none. If you are doing regualr drains wix is fine. I even use them. For longer drains I would switch to something else. The filter are like $3.50 each.

OK....if I recall, there are only 2 major oil filter manufacturers in the US. There is a difference in the price you pay and the quality you get. For example: a Purolator premium and a Purolater standard filter are not the same. I would use a quality filter and not cut corners here.

Next, semi-synthetic oil....complete waste of your cash! Did you know the US govt only requires a semi-synthetic oil to be 25% synthetic to be semi. You could add 1 qt of pure synthetic to every 3 of base oil and save a few bones. This is what most quick lubes do. Semi-synthetic was only made to seperate a few extra $'s from your wallet for those hesitent to stepping up to full synthetic. If you decide to go the full synthetic route go for Mobil 1.

Now you're probably thinking "this guy is an a**" and how does he know this stuff. I used to be the oil and supplies procurement mgr. for an international quick lube chain.

Not being a pain or starting a debate but look at the mobil 1 oil tests and then some others. Mobil 1 is a good oil but there are better.