Dirty Valve Covers/cams/etc.

blake918

The other day we disassembled the LS to change the leaking valve cover gaskets and check the valve clearance. The valves all checked out fine, but we were somewhat befuddled that the valve covers and everything under them was a dark maroon color. I never, ever miss the routine 3k-5k mile oil change with quality oils, OEM filters, new drain plug gasket, etc. I'm guessing the engine is not supposed to be this dark maroon color. Any guesses on why the oil has varnished like this? FWIW, '95 LS, 268,000 miles.

The valve covers came off in less than an hour with an air ratchet, very simple and straight forward. I expect the installation to be a little longer since it's always fun to try and remember what screw goes where!

post-1461-1135573300_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1135573321_thumb.jpg

Hey Blake, that deposit is caused by oxidation of the oil at high temperature, and it is referred to as "varnish" in the oil industry. You may find it is quite tenacious, and doesn't want to be removed easily. It is not that bad considering the mileage, but probably someone missed a few oil changes early in the engines life, or followed an interval that was too long. Engines run on synthetics, or oils with a particularly high detergent dispersant level, like those for diesels, with regular changes don't show that kind of buildup.

Just keep changing the oil and the engine will be happy for some time yet.

SRK

Hey Blake, that deposit is caused by oxidation of the oil at high temperature, and it is referred to as "varnish" in the oil industry. You may find it is quite tenacious, and doesn't want to be removed easily. It is not that bad considering the mileage, but probably someone missed a few oil changes early in the engines life, or followed an interval that was too long. Engines run on synthetics, or oils with a particularly high detergent dispersant level, like those for diesels, with regular changes don't show that kind of buildup.

Just keep changing the oil and the engine will be happy for some time yet.

SRK

I concur with this diagnosis. you have a while to go before any reap problems. you may find that diesle fuel wil clean that right off.

DISCLAIMER: DO NTO PUT DIESEL on the cams unless tey are removed from the car....Diesel may do irrepairable harm if uesd to clean cams while they are in place.

Edited by ArmyofOne

I agree with SRK the dark maroon color means the former owner really stretched out some of the oil changes. But if all 32 of your valve clearances are still within specs and if compression on all 8 cylinders is good then the stretched out oil changes didn't do any significant damage. I wouldn't worry about the varnish as it is just cosmetic.

Some of the Bobistheoilguy "educated" owners here will likely recommend you clean up the varnish with $25 a bottle specialty engine cleaner products that are not sold in ordinary retail stores, but are only available via mail order because they are so special. "Special" in the sense as the kinds of products you see advertized on TV at 2:00 am in the morning.

Thanks guys! Yall are awesome! :cheers: I scrubbed the valve cover gaskets with some choke/carb cleaner and that was it! We reassembled everything in a tad over an hour, and now, she runs great!! B)

My TB was filthy, but she cleaned up nicely...what a job (my fingers were numb after I finished!)!

post-1461-1135728077_thumb.jpg post-1461-1135728100_thumb.jpg

As it turns out, the source of my spongy brake pedal was right under my nose. Suprisingly, Lexus makes a rebuild kit for the master cylinder!

post-1461-1135728208_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! Yall are awesome! :cheers: I scrubbed the valve cover gaskets with some choke/carb cleaner and that was it! We reassembled everything in a tad over an hour, and now, she runs great!! B)

My TB was filthy, but she cleaned up nicely...what a job (my fingers were numb after I finished!)!

post-1461-1135728077_thumb.jpg post-1461-1135728100_thumb.jpg

As it turns out, the source of my spongy brake pedal was right under my nose. Suprisingly, Lexus makes a rebuild kit for the master cylinder!

post-1461-1135728208_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the famous Toyota sludge on the TB! Gotta love Toyota with this one.

I agree with SRK the dark maroon color means the former owner really stretched out some of the oil changes. But if all 32 of your valve clearances are still within specs and if compression on all 8 cylinders is good then the stretched out oil changes didn't do any significant damage. I wouldn't worry about the varnish as it is just cosmetic.

Some of the Bobistheoilguy "educated" owners here will likely recommend you clean up the varnish with $25 a bottle specialty engine cleaner products that are not sold in ordinary retail stores, but are only available via mail order because they are so special. "Special" in the sense as the kinds of products you see advertized on TV at 2:00 am in the morning.

Really. More like cheap dino oil and heat. It is weird that you know Bob is the oil guy people when they are all over you with anything you post over there. Plus they will know more then you could dream of.

I also liked how you where talking the same BS (in 2002) over there and even Bob (site owner) called you out; you left and did not come back....too freaking funny!!!!!!

Edited by mburnickas

hey blake918, im about to clean my tb but not surprisgly i called the closest lexus dealer and the parts noob said i needed four small gaskets to re-seal it @ $5 bucks a pop. Which contradicts every auto-parts store my question is what did you use for a gasket? and how much did you pay. Auto-parts stores quoted me $3-$5 for ONE part. AAARRRGGGHHH. Thanks in advance----vito.

This is the product and procedure Toyota recommends http://www.saber.net/~monarch/tbclean.jpg To get the throttle plate and walls of the throttle body as clean as Blake's, I use a toothbrush + microfiber towels soaked in this cleaner (or carburetor cleaner) after removing the air intake duct. Removing the throttle body is really not necessary.

hey blake918, im about to clean my tb but not surprisgly i called the closest lexus dealer and the parts noob said i needed four small gaskets to re-seal it @ $5 bucks a pop. Which contradicts every auto-parts store my question is what did you use for a gasket? and how much did you pay. Auto-parts stores quoted me $3-$5 for ONE part. AAARRRGGGHHH. Thanks in advance----vito.

Vito, I used a throttle body gasket supplied by Park Place Lexus for about $4. I have no idea what he is talking about in needing 4 small gaskets; there is only 1 gasket where the tb meets the intake manifold. My tb gasket was not compromised when we removed the tb, but we opted to replace it as a "while you are in there" precaution. ;)

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html

This is the product and procedure Toyota recommends http://www.saber.net/~monarch/tbclean.jpg To get the throttle plate and walls of the throttle body as clean as Blake's, I use a toothbrush + microfiber towels soaked in this cleaner (or carburetor cleaner) after removing the air intake duct. Removing the throttle body is really not necessary.

Since you are so PRO Toyota with your salesman approach, if you read your owners manual, they {Toyota} reccomend to not use a cleaner on the TB, etc. There was a post on it and a guy poste what it said. Then with their other hand they are selling a cleaner. Gotta love Toyota, anything to make a dollar.

Then again why are they selling a Throttle Body cleaner (and you using) when you state there is not a problem with Thorttle bodies, MAF sensors, etc.

Edited by mburnickas

Since you are so PRO Toyota with your salesman approach, if you read your owners manual, they {Toyota} reccomend to not use a cleaner on the TB, etc. There was a post on it and a guy poste what it said. Then with their other hand they are selling a cleaner. Gotta love Toyota, anything to make a dollar.

Then again why are they selling a Throttle Body cleaner (and you using) when you state there is not a problem with Thorttle bodies, MAF sensors, etc.

What is the point of your post, other than cynicism? If you had sufficient experience in automotive repair you would know that throttle body cleaning is a very common repair procedure, normally done to restore base idle air flow with forcing a change in throttle position sensor angle.

Last I looked, most companies were in business to make money.

By the way, what is happening to that poor fellow in your avatar? Bad drugs? Police nightstick induced loss of consciousness? A nasty "Dear John" letter?

What is the point of your post, other than cynicism? If you had sufficient experience in automotive repair you would know that throttle body cleaning is a very common repair procedure, normally done to restore base idle air flow with forcing a change in throttle position sensor angle.

By the way, what is happening to that poor fellow in your avatar? Bad drugs? Police nightstick induced loss of consciousness? A nasty "Dear John" letter?

My point is, look at all his past posts, based on that and that only, Toyota does not have issues and should not need cleaning. They are perfect...LOL

PS. I live 3,000+ miles from "that state" so you can say what you wish. Do not care. I like the gif..so there! :whistles:

My point is, look at all his past posts, based on that and that only, Toyota does not have issues and should not need cleaning. They are perfect...LOL

PS. I live 3,000+ miles from "that state" so you can say what you wish. Do not care. I like the gif..so there! :whistles:

oh the gif is awesome. No problem with that. Ahnold is a little disappointing though, mind you my state of mind is "blue" to begin with.

OK - I got that, understand now.

That's AHNULD!? I didn't recognise him! Somewhat younger in that sequence. I like the guy, although I do live thousands of miles away. He doesn't like Cahnahda too much though.