My Girls Just Bought 91 Es250

jjewell

Hello Everyone! This is a GREAT forum! Been living on it for the past 2 days (Merry Xmas!) Got LOTS of great info. Thank you all.

Yesterday morning we got my girlfriend the 91 ES250. 141K miles; Immaculate inside & out! Oil leaks; yeah no biggy- runs a little warm; getting an OEM tstat tomorrow. Also getting the trans. flushed tomorrow. Am I rambling..............?

Really I could use advice on the 52 code. I tried searching, read postings til Midnite last night & off & on most of today. I know its a knock sensor (or chaffed wire) fault. OR computer module. Any time saving tips on homing in on this problem source (where is the sensor, wiring routing, etc.) would greatly be appreciated. I've cleared the code & it comes back (cel) shortly after driving off. Love this car, wanna make it all "right". Gonna have to get it Calif. smogged soon to register it. HELP!

Hello Everyone! This is a GREAT forum! Been living on it for the past 2 days (Merry Xmas!) Got LOTS of great info. Thank you all.

Yesterday morning we got my girlfriend the 91 ES250. 141K miles; Immaculate inside & out! Oil leaks; yeah no biggy- runs a little warm; getting an OEM tstat tomorrow. Also getting the trans. flushed tomorrow. Am I rambling..............?

Really I could use advice on the 52 code. I tried searching, read postings til Midnite last night & off & on most of today. I know its a knock sensor (or chaffed wire) fault. OR computer module. Any time saving tips on homing in on this problem source (where is the sensor, wiring routing, etc.) would greatly be appreciated. I've cleared the code & it comes back (cel) shortly after driving off. Love this car, wanna make it all "right". Gonna have to get it Calif. smogged soon to register it. HELP!

Remove the CEL bulb and go about your merry way. :lol:

No, seriously, dont do that. if the light is on, there is something wrong. code 52= Knock Control Signal.

If the engine is running fine, chances are its not the computer. go from there. try switching fuels (works sometimes, especially for the knock sensors, the higher octane will cause the light to go out.) or isolate the sensor thats the problem, by doing a resistance and voltage test.

Go over here:

Toyotanation.com

and ask about the CEL, they can explain it to you in more detail as a few of them have the FSM's for the car. i have one too, but its in NY and im in TX at the moment LOL. or if you would rather i can ask the question and post the results. I have rebult this car from the ground up and know more about them than most people around. If i dont knwo the answer, rest assured i can find it out for you. Fell free to PM me for anything, anytime.

Edited by ArmyofOne

No, seriously, dont do that. if the light is on, there is something wrong. code 52= Knock Control Signal.

If the engine is running fine, chances are its not the computer. go from there. try switching fuels (works sometimes, especially for the knock sensors, the higher octane will cause the light to go out.) or isolate the sensor thats the problem, by doing a resistance and voltage test.

Go over here:

Toyotanation.com

and ask about the CEL, they can explain it to you in more detail as a few of them have the FSM's for the car. i have one too, but its in NY and im in TX at the moment LOL. or if you would rather i can ask the question and post the results. I have rebult this car from the ground up and know more about them than most people around. If i dont knwo the answer, rest assured i can find it out for you. Fell free to PM me for anything, anytime.

Go over here:

Toyotanation.com

Thanks for the quick response. Not knowing how smooth it should be I can't really tell, but I'm sure the IAC valve/fuel system needs a super cleaning. I'm new to this posting stuff; not that I'm lazy, but if you could help out with the query you mentioned I would very much appreciate the help!

I just posted the ES 250 factory service manual. It has engine transmission & wiring diagrams.

90% of the time it's the wiring. 10% of the time the knock sensor is bad. 0% of the time the ECU has problems.

Take the intake manifold off where you can get to the KS's Unplug the wire. There should NOT be continuity between the temrinal in the knock sensor & ground. (I.e. the outside of the sensor/ engine block). If there is continuity the KS is bad - ditch it. Otherwise start working on the wiring.

I just posted the ES 250 factory service manual. It has engine transmission & wiring diagrams.

90% of the time it's the wiring. 10% of the time the knock sensor is bad. 0% of the time the ECU has problems.

Take the intake manifold off where you can get to the KS's Unplug the wire. There should NOT be continuity between the temrinal in the knock sensor & ground. (I.e. the outside of the sensor/ engine block). If there is continuity the KS is bad - ditch it. Otherwise start working on the wiring.

Thanks Toys. Overall thats good news. Where is the manual posted? Please forgive my ignorance in finding it. :whistles:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=26449

Might wanna grab the '93 manual as well. the engine & transmissions are later versions of what's in the 250 & some info there applies in a general way to both.

Thanks once again Toys! I've got my work cut out for me. I'm off work all next week :D so I'm hoping to get a lot done.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=26449

Might wanna grab the '93 manual as well. the engine & transmissions are later versions of what's in the 250 & some info there applies in a general way to both.

Thanks once again Toys! I've got my work cut out for me. I'm off work all next week :D so I'm hoping to get a lot done.

damn you brandon, you only got here before i did! LOL.