92 Sc 400 Engine Light

jayneb81

I have a 92 SC400 (just bought it, 197K on it) and it's always run fine up untill last night. I started it up, put it in reverse, and then I noticed that I was moving very sluggishly. I looked down and that "Engine" light was flashing. I put the car in park, turned it off, then restarted it and it drove home just fine. It did it again today after I pumped gas and went to start the car, and I did the same thing again to re-start it. Could anyone PLEASE let me know what this could possibly be and how to correct it? Thank you so much.

There is a simple procedure u can do the next time ur check engine light comes on. It requires like a small piece of wire.... maybe around an 18Gauge wire... about 4inches will do. Strip both ends of the wires... about 1/2 inch. Since ur engine is an OBDI then u can do it urself without going to Autozone n asking them to read the trouble code for u. By the way... Autozone wont' read any OBDI... they only do OBDII.

Here is a website that will explain how to check the trouble code in details.

http://uktoyotaestimasite.tripod.com/obdcodes.htm#obtaincode

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

The 2nd website is also a good one. It has a list n tells u wut each of the codes means.

Make sure u do it correctly. Dont accidentally misjump the wrong ones.... i dont know wut will happen... but u better not risk it. Just print the picture out.... n align wut u see under the diagnostics n the picture together... then u can find the right ones. O... it's under the hood by the way.

Do as what the website suggests.... n remember to count it. At first i was a bit nervous doing it....but it is actually quite simple. When u count it... n ur still not sure wut that suggests... then come back to the forum n post the trouble code that u got on here. Im sure someone will b able to further help u. N welcome to the club ;)

Also Jayne... there can be many things that can attribute to this. Check the engine code... n let us know. Have u done n e thing recently that may have contributed to this? It's hard to say what the problem is... we just have to trouble shoot. Good luck. B)