Hid's Are Purple/not Working

My driver side HID light goes purple right after it is turned on, and it is frequently just turning off. I know this could be either the bulb or the balast, but what is the most common cause?

I know switching the bulbs would tell me, but getting the bulbs out and back in is an extreme PITA (I might be doing this all wrong, maybe someone can give a brief description on how to swap bulbs). Also the ballasts that I have seen online do not appear to be model specific, so if I buy a ballast would it be plug and play?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it is the ballast, most ballasts are pretty basic. there are many different types of plugs on ballast. Unless it's the same type it probably won't be plug and play. You may have to splice your plugs onto the new ballast or find one that has the same connectors <_<

From the sounds of it you have a factory HID system.

To start figuring out what needs to be done ,swap the bulbs and see if the problem switches sides then if it does it is just the bulbs not the ballasts which are about $200 used.

My driver side HID light goes purple right after it is turned on, and it is frequently just turning off. I know this could be either the bulb or the balast, but what is the most common cause?

I know switching the bulbs would tell me, but getting the bulbs out and back in is an extreme PITA (I might be doing this all wrong, maybe someone can give a brief description on how to swap bulbs). Also the ballasts that I have seen online do not appear to be model specific, so if I buy a ballast would it be plug and play?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I had one light that would work sporadically.one time it would come on next time it wouldn't. this went on for quite a while, until it finally would not come on at all. it turned out to be the bulb. I replaced it myself using directions found on this forum. I wanted to stay with the oem lighting so I found a bulb from advanced auto parts.price was 144.00 lexus dealer wanted over 300.00 bulb is D2R 35w

I had one light that would work sporadically.one time it would come on next time it wouldn't. this went on for quite a while, until it finally would not come on at all. it turned out to be the bulb. I replaced it myself using directions found on this forum. I wanted to stay with the oem lighting so I found a bulb from advanced auto parts.price was 144.00 lexus dealer wanted over 300.00 bulb is D2R 35w

Do you remember where the instructions were found for changing the bulb? Is advanced auto parts online or local?

Thanks

Do you remember where the instructions were found for changing the bulb? Is advanced auto parts online or local?

Thanks

Go to club lexus forums and search HID replacement. detaled instructions with pics. advance auto is local but also online advancedautoparts.com