Considering Remote Starter...

ArmyofOne

There is a shop here in town specializing in Car Audio and Remote Starters.

They said, for $50 a door, they can give my car keyless entry and for $269 (+$100 for Manual Trans clutch override/Neutral Saftey Starter Switch) they can put a remote starter in my MANUAL transmission car.

i was not aware that Remote Starters could be fitted to Manual trans, i was also not aware that without a significant amount fo custom work, you could put autmatic locks in a car that has none to begin with. The sales guy said they would not be adding switches to the inside for the locks, but rather i would unlock/lock it with the remote, much like a car with shaved door handles would open.

Is this one of those too good to be true deals? they are a very reputable shop, but i find it hard to believe this can be done for under $500.

Also, i have heard remote starters screw up the wiring in cars. This sounds like Pish posh to me, especially if done correctly.

Also, my car has a Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) with the computer chip in the key, will this make a difference?

Someone please enlighten me, and thanks for the help.

FWIW, my ZX-2 has a very weird option package...

-Manual Windows and locks, but a Power Sunroof and power mirrors.

-a 5 speed manual, with cruise control (this is a first for me, i have never seen this before...maybe its common and i overlook it though)

-(had) premuim sound system, with a cassette deck...no CD.

-Ford P.A.T.S System, with no keyless entry.

Your mechanically inclinded ,so pick up a 4 door power door lock kit for $50 and install it yourself for free.

The hardest part is fishing the wire through the loom for the doors. But with no power options it should have lots of space.

Your mechanically inclinded ,so pick up a 4 door power door lock kit for $50 and install it yourself for free.

The hardest part is fishing the wire through the loom for the doors. But with no power options it should have lots of space.

Im mechanically inclined yes...but as far as electronics go, i dont like messing with it if i can pay someone...plus time is short, my sched is packed between school and work. Money is not an object, i dont mind spending some. :)

I do know that ford pre-wires all their cars, so even though my car is not equipped for PW/PL, it has the wires, just no motors.

A power door lock kit is plug and play all wiring is harnessed ,you just add power and ground no other wiring to it.

It uses steel rods held onto the stock lock rods ,so the solenoids move the rods in the same direction.

1.5 hours max to do all 4 doors

A power door lock kit is plug and play all wiring is harnessed ,you just add power and ground no other wiring to it.

It uses steel rods held onto the stock lock rods ,so the solenoids move the rods in the same direction.

1.5 hours max to do all 4 doors

Heh, I only have 2 doors bud. :)

Really though? I honestly wasnt aware it was that easy....can you point me to a link? I can definately run a power wire. I wonder if i could get one of these kits at autozone.

1.5 hours max is probably right, because its a ford...Even as good of quality (by ford standards, its some of the best, i actually have a LEATHER Dash!) its still snap-together. LOL. one of the reasons i like it so much...Skill Level 1...Just like a mongram LOL.

Oh and If it helps, the systems they will be installing are:

Viper Security System (not sure if keyless entry is added withthis system or separate)

AstroFlex (or AStroStart, cant remember the name off hand) Remote Starter System w/ Manual Transmission Clutch Override.