Ball Joints?

I have done a ton of searchs and I am pretty sure that I need to replace at least my lower ball joints (I hope that is all) to get this squeaking to stop. I just wanted to check and see what some other people thought as well.

I drive a 99 lexus GS400 with 53k on it. I have only owned it since March of this year and I have a feeling the guy that owned it before me drove it harder than your normal grandpa as it was lowered and given bigger/wider rims and an exhaust package was added. Not to mention, I don't drive it like a grandpa by any means. I especially notice the squeaking at low speeds in parking lots even when hitting the smallest of bumps and cracks. It is much more noticeable in colder weather I have noticed as well. A loud squeaking bed is the best I can describe the sound and I only hear it when actaully hitting a cracck or bump in the road. If I am just cruising on a nice smooth road, no noise.

Again, I am pretty sure it is ball joints and like I said, I hope just the lower joints. Any coments/confirmation or suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have done a ton of searchs and I am pretty sure that I need to replace at least my lower ball joints (I hope that is all) to get this squeaking to stop.  I just wanted to check and see what some other people thought as well. 

I drive a 99 lexus GS400 with 53k on it.  I have only owned it since March of this year and I have a feeling the guy that owned it before me drove it harder than your normal grandpa as it was lowered and given bigger/wider rims and an exhaust package was added.  Not to mention, I don't drive it like a grandpa by any means.  I especially notice the squeaking at low speeds in parking lots even when hitting the smallest of bumps and cracks.  It is much more noticeable in colder weather I have noticed as well.  A loud squeaking bed is the best I can describe the sound and I only hear it when actaully hitting a cracck or bump in the road.  If I am just cruising on a nice smooth road, no noise.

Again, I am pretty sure it is ball joints and like I said, I hope just the lower joints.  Any coments/confirmation or suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Take vehicle for inspection to any trusted auto shop, it doesn't cost alot. I belive that squeaking comes from bad bushings or/and shocks. Worned ball joints make more clunking/clicking noise when hitting a cracck or bump. I'm sure inspection of your suspention by auto shop and/or yourself if much more accurate than speculating. Anyway lower ball joints are cheap, $60.00 or so each one + labor will turn in about $220.00-$250.00 total, and you better pray that is none of upper control arms which goes for about $350.00 each but i dont think they are not problem in your case. Good luck to you.

P.S I just went thru seriuos suspention issues which are not fully solved, i'm at $1100.00 as of now and there is some more stuff to fix, uhhh :cries:

Just a thought. Many times squeaking sounds come from rubber/metal contact. Check the bolts on the stabilizer bar brackets (21 ft. lbs) and the links at the ends of the bar (41 ft. lbs.) If you suspect the bushings are worn, especially if you find the mounts to be loose, you can verify any suspected noise be disconnecting the stabilizer bar ends from the links and rotating the bar in the mounts. If you do this before you tighten anything, and you hear the bar squeaking in the bushings, tighten the bolts and/or replace the bushings. Lubricating of rubber parts is not recommended.

post-4610-1132814966_thumb.jpg

I had the same problem when I had my wheels on. The ball-joint was squeeking and making this noise that sounded like metal rubbing against metal. It sqeeked at lower speeds and especially in the parking lot, it was so embarassing. I got both ball-joints replaced and everything is fine. The ball-joints cost about $100 each at the dealer and another $120 to replace each at a local mechanic.

I had the same problem when I had my wheels on.  The ball-joint was squeeking and making this noise that sounded like metal rubbing against metal.  It sqeeked at lower speeds and especially in the parking lot, it was so embarassing.  I got both ball-joints replaced and everything is fine.  The ball-joints cost about $100 each at the dealer and another $120 to replace each at a local mechanic.

120 to replace each ball joint? So, $440=total???

Also, do you think that the bad ball joint(s) could be causing my vibration between 60 and 70 mph or more of an alignment/balancing issue?

I had the same problem when I had my wheels on.  The ball-joint was squeeking and making this noise that sounded like metal rubbing against metal.  It sqeeked at lower speeds and especially in the parking lot, it was so embarassing.  I got both ball-joints replaced and everything is fine.  The ball-joints cost about $100 each at the dealer and another $120 to replace each at a local mechanic.

120 to replace each ball joint? So, $440=total???

Also, do you think that the bad ball joint(s) could be causing my vibration between 60 and 70 mph or more of an alignment/balancing issue?

I have paid $60.00 each ball joint at carson toyota and $50.00 labor each.

$60.00x2=$120.00 ball joints

Shipping = $20.00 ball joints

$50.00x2=$100.00 labor

Total = $220.00

Even if labor is more expensive than $100.00, it shouln't be more than $300.00 otherwise i think it's rip off

Cool?

I think you mean $240=total... but yea, that's cool... I am trying to keep it uder $300 cuz I am getting ready to move and budget is tight. I was curious to know if you noticed any vibration on the highway that might have been due to the ball joint. And if so, did it deminish after you replaced it?

Thanks

Ball joint repair is farily simple. I do recommend doing it right away as mine required repair, but I didnt do it, and the ball joint snapped in two. When it did, the car a frame fell onto the rim.

Had the car towed and ordered the part. The terrible thing is that during the install of the ball joint, my Speed sensor got broken and thats another $170 part.

SO, the moral of the story is to replace the ball joint soon, and when you do, be very careful of the Speed Sensor, its very fragile.

good luck

b

Ball joint repair is farily simple.  I do recommend doing it right away as mine required repair, but I didnt do it, and the ball joint snapped in two.  When it did, the car a frame fell onto the rim.

Had the car towed and ordered the part.  The terrible thing is that during the install of the ball joint, my Speed sensor got broken and thats another $170 part.

SO, the moral of the story is to replace the ball joint soon, and when you do, be very careful of the Speed Sensor, its very fragile.

good luck

b

I am beginning to wonder if the ball joint is really the problem. I mean, the more I pay attention to the noise, the more it reminds me of the sound a pogo stick makes which makes that sound because of the spring????? I know the car was lowered with Eibachs not too long ago tho so I don't see how a spring could be going out already. From the reading I have done, it sounds like a ball joint makes more of a clunking/popping noise rather than a squeak but I don't know. I hate trying to pinpoint a suspension problem. :cries:

Alright, so, I took it to the shop and the tech. tells me that the squeaking is a bad strut and a common prob. at around 50-60k. He says that it will still be good for a while but it will squeak when I hit bumps. Then I asked about the vibration and he said it was a bad tire. We put it on a rack and sure enough the tires were worn pretty uneven since I can't rotate them and esp. worn on the inside. So bad, in fact, that one is almost worn to the steel belt. He says struts will run me about $800 installed and tires $1200 intalled.

I would love to hear from anyone that knows a good place to find some rubber for a god price, of course. I have 245/40/18's on front and 275/35/18's on rear.

My info tells me 2.2 hours labor to replace both struts. $76.71 List for each OEM strut. I suppose more if they are aftermarket. Even at $100.00 per hour, three hours labor = $300.00 + $153.42 = 453.42 + tax. $800.00 sounds like a lot of $$$.

My info tells me 2.2 hours labor to replace both struts. $76.71 List for each OEM strut. I suppose more if they are aftermarket. Even at $100.00 per hour, three hours labor = $300.00 + $153.42 = 453.42 + tax. $800.00 sounds like a lot of $$$.

You're right, OEM strut replacement should be no more than $300-$400 (part+labor) sounds to me like Rip OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHeck 2 more auto shops, not a dealer, Any shop is able to do it with NO problem and their charge is usualy about $50-$70 per/hour. You need to calm down and take your time to find best possible deal, especially if you don't have to repair struts NOW, besides that you have to replace both LEFT AND RIGHT, unless your budget is very tight as of now, i'm just guessing- but you don't replace brake pads just on ONE wheel? Right?

So, same story with struts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. That sounds more appropriate for struts. I will prob get at least one or two more opinions. I have been looking at tires online a little and he seems off about the $1200 for tires too. If I wanted top of the line tires, then maybe I could see 1200 but I've spotted some Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance tires. Does anyone have and comments about these tires or have any experience with them? Also, any suggestions on tires are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks for the info. That sounds more appropriate for struts. I will prob get at least one or two more opinions. I have been looking at tires online a little and he seems off about the $1200 for tires too. If I wanted top of the line tires, then maybe I could see 1200 but I've spotted some Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance tires. Does anyone have and comments about these tires or have any experience with them? Also, any suggestions on tires are welcomed and appreciated!

I run Nitto 555s and love them.They are alot of tire for the money.Not for all weather though not too bad in the rain but snow is out of the question.I got about 45k out of my last set.