90 Headlights...

dfkd

From what i've read, the cause of the bad light in the 90 - 92 LS is because of the lens.

My question is, is it possible to open the headlight (separate the lense) and (God forbid) polish or change the lens pattern to fix the problem? <_<

Outside of my crazy idea, what other option actually works?

I've seen a lot of stuff on here (I've been through about 300 threads about headlights on 3 different sites) and i havent seen anything that everyone agrees to work. :blink:

Any help for me? All i have thus far is silverstars but as i understand the problem, the lense will just screw them up too...

Anything useful that is actually conclusive?

I really hope this isnt considered a repost... :o

I had hoped that someone else might have posted some neat, innovative ideas. You may have read some of my previous posts. I suffered with the horrible headlights on a 90 LS for almost 14 years and thought it was the worst aspect of the car. I would not have known any better if I hadn't gone through all of the 1980's driving a 79 Mercedes with Euro lights with wash/wipe and several Honda's with Euro light conversions.

Actually, the gen 1 headlights were not considered all that bad when the LS was first introduced. But the lens on the gen 1 really completely sucks and the bulbs are only 45 watts (if I remember correctly) on low beam.

Higher wattage bulbs only p1ssed off on-coming drivers - one exploded and caused a real mess.

I could have bought Euro spec headlight assemblies when the 90 was new but I was not willing to spend additional thousands of dollars on a new car and lose the foglights in the process (foglights on the Euro gen 1 were mounted in the bumper similar to my current 00 LS). Plus the Gen 1 Euro headlights had a dashboard mounted beam adjustment dial (similar to the Sienna XLS Limited van) and I doubted I could get all the parts and wiring to make it all work.

I don't know if the Euro headlight lens is available separately or if it could be used with the U.S. spec headlight housing. The lens is glued to the housing anyway. Besides, you would still be left using the low watt 9004 bulbs. (Oddly, the huge Euro-code glass headlight lens on my 79 Mercedes was not glued and was cheap and easy to replace.)

My suggestion is to put auxillary lights in the bumper grill similar to the photos in this thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=25433 and to wire the auxillary lights to the low beams. The auxillary lights in that thread look pretty bad but I once found some larger rectangular Hella lights that would have fit perfectly in the same location in the 90's bumper grill.

Good luck! I feel your pain.