Magnetic Drain Plug? Is It Truly Worth 8.99?

I'm sure this has been discused somewhere else, but I didnt find it in search, so i figured i'd ask.....

Do the magnetic drain plugs actually pick up a bunch of metal, or is it a not worth it?

I've got a '95 with 180k miles so i'm sure there's some filings in there!

I'm sure this has been discused somewhere else, but I didnt find it in search, so i figured i'd ask.....

Do the magnetic drain plugs actually pick up a bunch of metal, or is it a not worth it?

I've got a '95 with 180k miles so i'm sure there's some filings in there!

I sure hope they don't pick up a bunch of metal! However the main reason for getting one is too catch anthing that might get in there and to let you know about it. So, if you pull out the plug and see filings you know you might have a problem. Since most people don't cut open their filters <_< I think for $6 to $8 it's worth it.

Of the dozen+ members of the Toyota 400,000 mile club that I've become acquainted with, none used a magnetic engine oil drain plug. The people who invent and sell magnetic drain plugs and other "engine wear saving" gadgets, treatments, etc. don't want you to know every Toyota engine rolls off the assembly line ready to deliver 500,000 miles of service if owners would simply maintain it using the same oils, filters, fluids and parts the car originally came with from the factory.