Help . Auto Transmission On Last Leg

madlooper

Could someone help me with this question .....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had weird thing happen on way home. Was driving about 55-60mph and all of a sudden it started acting like it came out of gear and then it lunged forward ( it has shifted funny a couple of times past few times I drove it but did not pay much attn. thought it might be just cold) and then it was kinda sputtering. Seemed to be running out of gas or running like it was missing few plug wires . I thought to my self O NO TRANSMISSION ... I am praying that someone else has experienced something like this and can tell me that might be something else other than the transmission. (but dont think it could be much else) Here is brief discription of the car and work put into the car in the last 6mo or so.

1992 SC400 only days ago replaced alternator along with a powersteering pump kit. Flushed the fluid and still has stiff steering ... 2 mo. ago replaced radiatior and new brake rotors with pads. 6mo. ago new tires and batt.

Thanks for your time in reading this ... madlooper ...

:cries:

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to say it but it might be the transmission. If you don’t get the question answered on here, and you do find the solution to the problem then it might be a good idea to take it to the Lexus dealer to have them at least diagnose the problem and fix it yourself if you know how to. Once you do find the solution please post it as to how it was fixed.

Check fluid level and condition.  If transmission slips (engine RPM rises without a corresponding rise in vehicle speed) despite the fact the fluid level and condition are both good, then you may need to get a new (or good used) transmission.

Your valves may need a cleaning, Here is how:

I would try this before buying a new/used tranny.

Then I would recommend installing a inline filter and a transmission cooler, You can find both at your local auto parts store or search online. The best of luck and keep us posted.

tranny_valve_cleaning.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

well I put the car in the shop and they informed me that it did indeed need a new transmission as well as a new power steering pump. Now here is my question .. What transmission should I replace it with.? I want to go back with a auto/trans. how ever I don't know the best bang for the buck. Meaning I would like to upgrade the tor/conver. and Iam looking for my most affordable way to do this . HELP any suggestions ..... PLEASE HELP .... what is the cost of replacing trans. and ps.pump ....total . I have been quoted $$ 1950.00 seem fair ????? Thanks for any input ... Madlooper

Edited by madlooper