Purchase Of My 98ls400 Completed!

OK, so following all my angst and newbie Qs to you guys, I went to SoCal last weekend and completed the purchase of my high miler (170k) '98 LS400 for $9,000. If I attached the pic right, perhaps you will be able to see it. It is black and beautiful and performed incredibly well on the drive back to my home in Utah. Thanks for all the great advice on what to look for etc... I followed your advice and used premium gas despite the comment from the seller that, "regular is jsut fine." I think it increased my mileage from about 24 highway to very near 27mpg! I think that is incredible for 8 cyl.

Anyway, topping off in Barstow, a cool older guy filling a Harley looked back and said, "those are great cars aren't they!" I sure hope so I replied, I just bought it. Well, mine's a '91 and I have 425,000 on it and all I have really done is put in a rebuilt tranny...at 416,000! That went a long way to calming my high miles concerns as did your comments on keeping up the maintenance. Said before but, this car was my brother's from new through 160k and he sold it to his friend for 10K as a bridge car for 7 months until his new R-series Mercedes was available. That guy then sold it to me. (Bro, why didn't you think of me when you were selling, "; "oh I just had no idea you would be interested!")

Anyway it is awesome. Neither of them ever missed a sceduled maintenance at the dealer and it runs like a top! And, there is nary a door ding either, I found one! Has several of the normal little rock chips in the hood that I am filling but all in all in incredible shape.

Sorry for the long email but I just wanted to express appreciation especially to NC211, LxusLooker, ALSALIH, SKperformance, Leadfoot, akewlguy, blake98, sha400,VBDenny and craiganuniv for your comments and responses to this newbie. Best regards to all. Baja

post-21140-1130709113_thumb.jpg

Congrats! ;) I noticed your car has 95-97 chrome rims, do you know why? Always, always, always keep a coat of wax on your car since us black onyx guys don't enjoy the privilege of a clearcoating. I see she's wearing Michelin Energy tires; you'll love them! Enjoy your great new car for hundreds of thousands of miles to come!!

:cheers:

OK, so following all my angst and newbie Qs to you guys, I went to SoCal last weekend and completed the purchase of my high miler (170k)  '98 LS400 for $9,000. If I attached the pic right, perhaps you will be able to see it. It is black and beautiful and performed incredibly well on the drive back to my home in Utah. Thanks for all the great advice on what to look for etc... I followed your advice and used premium gas despite the comment from the seller that, "regular is jsut fine." I think it increased my mileage from about 24 highway to very near 27mpg! I think that is incredible for 8 cyl.

Anyway, topping off in Barstow, a cool older guy filling a Harley looked back and said, "those are great cars aren't they!" I sure hope so I replied, I just bought it. Well, mine's a '91 and I have 425,000 on it and all I have really done is put in a rebuilt tranny...at 416,000!  That went a long way to calming my high miles concerns as did your comments on keeping up the maintenance. Said before but, this car was my brother's from new through 160k and he sold it to his friend for 10K as a bridge car for 7 months until his new R-series Mercedes was available. That guy then sold it to me. (Bro, why didn't you think of me when you were selling, ";  "oh I just had no idea you would be interested!")

Anyway it is awesome. Neither of them ever missed a sceduled maintenance at the dealer and it runs like a top!  And, there is nary a door ding either, I found one! Has several of the normal little rock chips in the hood that I am filling but all in all in incredible shape.

Sorry for the long email but I just wanted to express appreciation especially to NC211, LxusLooker, ALSALIH, SKperformance, Leadfoot, akewlguy, blake98, sha400,VBDenny and craiganuniv for your comments and responses to this newbie.  Best regards to all.  Baja

Not sure on the wheels, will have to ask my brother. Don't see anything about wheels listed separately on the window sticker invoice that he kep with the car so maybe he got them post-purchase.

I love those Michelins too! I had them on an Accord and was very happy with them, only set of tires I ever had that hit hit the 60k they were rated. These have 15k on them so plenty of life left. Presume they are rated at 60 for the Lexus too?

When I was driving this baby back, I once slipped up to 100 mph without even realizing it! Settled it back down and got the cruise on, I'm really not one to push much beyond the limt but it was fun to know how smooth it was at that speed.