Frustrating Power Steering Problems

Draven90

I have a 1994 LS400 and am experiencing power steering problems... Started the car one morning and noticed right away that it was making noise. I would turn the wheel and the noise would get worse. I went ahead and replaced the power steering pump. Found it to have a small leak as well. I pulled the solenoid to clean the screens and flushed the lines... The pump is still making noise. Even louder when you get to the locks on both ends... While the frontend was still in the air, the front wheels woudl vibrate badly.

I'm wondering if this problem is still in the pump (reman from Autozone) or something else... I haven't owned the car very long and have thus far found tons of useful info on this site and am learnign a lot about the car... I would hate to have to bring the car in....

Please help....

I have a 1994 LS400 and am experiencing power steering problems... Started the car one morning and noticed right away that it was making noise. I would turn the wheel and the noise would get worse.  I went ahead and replaced the power steering pump.  Found it to have a small leak as well.  I pulled the solenoid to clean the screens and flushed the lines...  The pump is still making noise.  Even louder when you get to the locks on both ends...  While the frontend was still in the air, the front wheels woudl vibrate badly. 

I'm wondering if this problem is still in the pump (reman from Autozone) or something else...  I haven't owned the car very long and have thus far found tons of useful info on this site and am learnign a lot about the car...  I would hate to have to bring the car in....

Please help....

Hi: Make sure the belt is not making the noise, take a piece of water hose and place it where you think the noise is coming from with the engine running, but be careful, if you do not feel up to it do not attempt. Second need to bleed the air out of the system, turn the car on, loosen the PS reservoir cap, move the wheels from side to side, that should vent off the system, if that does not cure maybe your reman pump may need to be taken back to autozone, for a new one. It is not any marvel that a reman pump comes out defective.

C. PR

If the symptoms are exactly the same between two different pumps, it isn't the pump. That leaves the rack, and I have seen racks produce the noises and symptoms you describe.

I'm not a DIY I'm more of a break it myself... But as I understand it the rack is a big job.

On the cost, finding a rack for 200.00 to 400.00 with garrenty is not hard to do. AutoZone can get you one from ATSCO. I'm running one of there PS pumps and like it so fair. Was the cheepist I found. under 120.00 with core exchange.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.