Front Brakes

ssinghnj

I have Lexus ES300 model of the year 1995. Recently, I got the front brake pads replaced by Pep Boys. Since then the car vibrates when ever I had to apply the brakes at high speeds > 40 miles hr.

Could some one help in diagnosis of the problem?

Thanks.

Did you also replace the rotors? If not, did the shop test drive the car? Did they resurface the rotors?

If there are no shakes or vibrations, then resurfacing the rotors is not necessary. In your case, there is. The old pads and rotors may have bedded in a certain way where they work (and wear) a certain way. With new pads, they are not mated to the rotors the way the previous one is.

Now, vibrations can be from other problems but since it seems like everything was fine until this brake job and assuming the job was done ok, this would be my guess.

Normally the rotors are warped & should have been turned, or replaced.

I would just go get the rotors turned as long as they can do it in-spec. Typical cost for turning one is like $15 a pop so it's not a big deal. May be a little more if you can't take the rotor off yourself & deliver it.

Keep in mind, it takes new brake pads 50-100 miles of easy driving to break in. It takes new brake rotors 1,000 miles to brake in. Anytime you get new brake rotors, you need to go easy on them while they brake in -> or they'll be prone to either warping, or scoring (from pad surface).