Is My 1992 Sc 300 Too Slow?

Nimski62

OKay.. i have a 5 spd 1992 Sc 300.. I wanna know some input from diff people who own these 1992 sc's. If your sc 300 is an autiomatic, how fast is the pick up feel and then when you get to 60 and punch it, is it pretty quick? or like a doggg when taking off?.. Because when i take off in first gear, it feels pretty slow, and makes alot of engine noise (more noise then power).. after i get to third, then i can start to feel the punch.. but I just wanted some input (from manual and auto).. Any help wuold be appreciated. Thanks a bunch..

www.freewebs.com/nimski62 Thas my baby!

1st gear is pretty short. Don't expect too much from this gear.

2nd gear is a bit longer 1st.

3rd and 4th gear are the most "fun" gears. 4th gear is able to be engaged when you're going a little above 40mph. Carries power all the way to 80mph.

5th can be engaged at 50mph, but it is just an overdrive gear.

1st gear is pretty short.  Don't expect too much from this gear. 

2nd gear is a bit longer 1st. 

3rd and 4th gear are the most "fun" gears.  4th gear is able to be engaged when you're going a little above 40mph.  Carries power all the way to 80mph. 

5th can be engaged at 50mph, but it is just an overdrive gear.

K i guess thats how mine is.. whats the fastest youve taken your 5 spd?

This may be a stupid question, but are you downshifting to 3rd gear when you punch it at 60?

Tom

Not a stupid question...from what i have heard, read and now experienced, if you are in 5th and you punch it at 60, you will get nothing short of a dud. its a cruising gear only until about 105mph, then it can kick some tourque out around 3500 rpm. but when you punch it at 60, downshift to 4th or even 3rd. you will feel the difference immediately.

I have a 92 300 5spd and its seems pretty fast to me. 1st gear is short but it pushes me back.

The auto vs. 5spd, is about a sec difference in the 0-60, 5spd is supposed to be able to do it in 7sec if you can shift right and launch right.

My 1st goes somewhere between 30 and 35, 2nd goes up to 60mph, and I never look at the speedometer after that, just the RPM's so I know when to shift when doing a speed run.

I know once it gets to 110-120, it takes FOREVER to get beyond that. My fastest is 137 though.

My favorite is the 4th or 5th gear downshift to 2nd when you're between 35 and about 50mph to fly past another car.