Help -- New Brakes Needed

prix

If anyone can give me their opinion ASAP, w/b REALLY appreciated. What is reasonable to pay for replacing all brake pads on a '94 LS400?

Last time, I paid more htan $300 to replace all, with 170 of that for labor (2 hrs) at an 'indie' Beverly Hills shop. They used Lexus parts/pads, they said. Was I had?

I ask, because this AM, when backing up in a parking lot and braking, I heard a low-pitched metal on metal grinding sound. Came home, looked at my records, etc. Though I put on REALLY low miles each year -- less than 6K, for what it's worth -- it's all around town driving, lots of stops and starts.

The brakes were checked about a year ago and showed .33 approx on all pads, but I'll bet that's gone. For all I know, I could be down the rotors, which I was told were already thin from the 'sanding' someone did to remove a squeal years ago (not a bright move, I swear). Great.

And any ideas for where to take the LS400 for reliable brake replacement at decent prices? And what I should pay? Thanks much!!!

any shop you take it to will charge you the same like you said most of the bill will be for labor. 300 is cheap compared to some shops that charge close to 5-600 for front and back. def. find an indie brakes are not a hard job to do especially when you have a lift. also check to make sure your rotor are good b/c if thy are bad then it doesnt make sense to put new pads on they will wear unevenly

any shop you take it to will charge you the same like you said most of the bill will be for labor. 300 is cheap compared to some shops that charge close to 5-600 for front and back. def. find an indie brakes are not a hard job to do especially when you have a lift. also check to make sure your rotor are good b/c if thy are bad then it doesnt make sense to put new pads on they will wear unevenly

thanks for the quick response. didn't shop around the last time, so wasn't sure if what i'd paid before was reasonable (although it didn't seem too bad to me at the time). just got a quote from sears at roughly $215 for both labor and pads -- they say their supplier has identical pads to lexuses, for less $ (ceramic pads). that's provided the rotors are okay.