What Could This Be?

prix

This started about two weeks ago, where just driving around the area at lo speed I hear creaking and slight crunching noises underneath the front area. Noticeable on bumps and road imperfections with the creaks mostly happening on right hand turns. This low dribbling/crunching sound is fairly steady .. not continuous, just off and on, and it's not going away.

Is it my imagination, or did I feel a kind of rolling motion a month or so ago on the right tire on a right hand turn (on a slight decline coming out of a grocery store parking lot at extremely slow speed)? It was very noticeable, felt like the right wheel did three or four loop de loops before settling down, and at the time I thought it was just something in the road...maybe not.

What to do... looked around here for posters with similar problems. Seems suspension related...

Question: Are the Sears mechanics trained well enough on this model car to spot suspension problems with struts, bushings, arm controls or stabilizer bars -- in short, the works?? I tried one Sears auto center last weekend -- spent 1.5 hours or more in getting it 'checked' and wasn't satisfied that I'd gotten a well-considered answer. At all. For starters, the mechanic 'test drove' the car around the block with the windows down in heavy traffic (I asked) so OF COURSE he couldn't hear the noise. Which is what he told me. He looked things over and then said nothing was wrong. No surprise there! I am the sole owner of this car and I know a new sound when I hear it.

I'm willing to try another Sears center if someone can assure me that they can do the job (thoroughly diagnose suspension problems). To my knowledge, nothing has ever been done/replaced on the suspension and the car has around 70K miles.

Thanks for any feedback re Sears. I'm not sure how wise it is to drive this much longer under the circumstances. Also if a anyone knows of reputable indie mechanic in Los Angeles, referrals welcome. The dealer is my last resort!

Would you feel comfortable with Sears rebuilding your motor if they told you a bearing was spun on the main journal?

Sears is good for tires and batteries... and I'm being generous!

If it was mine, I would take it to Lexus for a diagnostic. I'm not familiar with an LS but it could be anything from a wheel bearing to simply needing a brake job. The wear indicators on the front pads could be causing noise or if the pad is almost gone will make sounds like you describe.

The first thing I would do is go out to the garage and make sure the lug nuts are tight...

When is the last time you had the car worked on?... and what was done?

Question: Are the Sears mechanics trained well enough on this model car to spot suspension problems with struts, bushings, arm controls or stabilizer bars -- in short, the works??