Es250 5-speed Trans Fluid

tanayast

Hi,

I'm new to this forum since I just bought a 1990 ES250 with 5-speed manual 3 weeks ago. I paid $800 for it, 125K miles, body is kinda rough, but the car is mechanically OK. the only major thing wrong is the trans input-shaft seal is leaking. It will get fixed next week.

What kind of trans fluid does the 5-speed ES250 take? Different Lexus dealers told me to use different fluids! Some said use T-IV (which is an ATF), some said use 80-90 gear oil. I don't have the Owner's Manual and my Haynes manual is still on the way, so I'm not sure which one is right. Anyone knows?

I love the Lexus so far. It feels solid and it's a nice second car / daily driver.

Pics:

ES250_1

ES250_2

ES250_3

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum since I just bought a 1990 ES250 with 5-speed manual 3 weeks ago. I paid $800 for it, 125K miles, body is kinda rough, but the car is mechanically OK. the only major thing wrong is the trans input-shaft seal is leaking. It will get fixed next week.

What kind of trans fluid does the 5-speed ES250 take? Different Lexus dealers told me to use different fluids! Some said use T-IV (which is an ATF), some said use 80-90 gear oil. I don't have the Owner's Manual and my Haynes manual is still on the way, so I'm not sure which one is right. Anyone knows?

I love the Lexus so far. It feels solid and it's a nice second car / daily driver.

Pics:

ES250_1

ES250_2

ES250_3

Thanks!

Welcome to the club! B) I'd go to your nearest local Lexus dealer & order yourself an owners manual or check e-bay to purchase one online. According to the Amsoil website, you can[b/] use ATF in for your manual tranny & the capacity is 8.9 pints. B)

Your pics won't come up btw. :huh:

:cheers:

E-153 - 4.4qts of API GL-3 (or better) 75w-90, or 80W-90 gear oil. (75w-90 is normally listed) E-153 is the only M/T they ever made avalible on the Camry platform AFAIK.

However, I'm unsure what came on the gen2's(ES 250). It could be the possibility that the S54 was used instead. (Seeing that the E-153 was installed in MR2's in 1991) In that case, it would be 2.7qts of Dexron III ATF.

I've only heard of a few gen2 Camrys with the E-153, but I've never heard of a M/T ES250! You're either very lucky, or someone swapped one in, either way - awsome!

The '91-'92 E-153 from MR2 / Celica's specify Dexron compatible ATF, however every other E-153 recommends gear oil.

Personally, I would use a synthetic gear oil.