Radio Flickering - Gs300 - 2001

I've seen a number of these in recent months, it just seems to be the 2001-05 model, as the radios changed slightly since the 2nd-gen GS were tweaked for the 2001 MY. The display just "freaks out" for a moment and shows gibberish. Usually, there's little or no interruption of the sound from the unit.

A few people complain the sound cuts out for a split second, but others say there's no interruption.

I suppose I should introduce myself to these forums, as I'm a service advisor at a Lexus dealer for over 3 years now.

i had the same thing happen...except mine flickered with jibberish all the time. had it replaced under warranty luckily

It appears the stock stereo flickers when changing radio stations

Has anyone experienced this?

Is it's an indication the deck is letting go? 

Is there any remedy, other then a new deck?

It does not effect performance

Cheers

It's amazing what you can find when you SEARCH :chairshot: I guess it's a forgotten art.

Thank guy for this

In case you are interested in the factory look, all you need is part no CWM4931 - LCD DISPLAY ASSY which you can get directly from Pioneer. It's a matter of a few simple screws to replace. Cost is $100.83. I did mine a few months ago. Very easy.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model....lNum=KEXM8076ZT

This part applies to the standard model with the cassette, not sure if it fits the Nacamichi. If you call Pioneer at 1-800-228-7221 they will be happy to help you. Take the radio out to get the exact model number if you need it. Here's how you get it out.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexusGS400str.htm

Note you can't just buy the LCD part no CAW1385 because it is held to the rest of the assembly with a proprietary conductive bonded flex ribbon cable that is not possible to bond back to the assembly after you remove the display. I don't even know why they sell it seperately.

Sidenote: It is actually the connections on this cable that fail, but the good news is the replacement part has been redesigned with a metal clip at the connection point. Surely this will make the display last longer. I must have seen 15 Lexus cars with this problem already.