Trunk Lid Fails To Stay Up.....

Better solution. Order two torsion bars, the bars the criss cross each other under the rear shelf (inside the trunk.) There are two kinds, the standard and the version for trunk lids with a spoiler. The difference is the latter is heavier. If you really want the trunk to fly up and stay up, get the heavier bars. Look here.

10 and 11 in the image attached.

post-4610-1126665229_thumb.jpg

One thing you can try before getting the spoiler version is to change the setting of the ones in your car. There are 3 notches at the end that you can position them. I cannot remember which direction is stiffer but it is easy trial and error.

One thing you can try before getting the spoiler version is to change the setting of the ones in your car.  There are 3 notches at the end that you can position them.  I cannot remember which direction is stiffer but it is easy trial and error.

There are no notches in my '98. The last time I saw notches was in a GM :lol: . In some other designs, the load on the rod is affected (as you suggested) by moving right-angled bent end of the rod to another notch to change the twist on the rod.

One thing you can try before getting the spoiler version is to change the setting of the ones in your car.  There are 3 notches at the end that you can position them.  I cannot remember which direction is stiffer but it is easy trial and error.

There are no notches in my '98. The last time I saw notches was in a GM :lol: . In some other designs, the load on the rod is affected (as you suggested) by moving right-angled bent end of the rod to another notch to change the twist on the rod.

There are on mine. Here is a pic someone I know put up. When I put on my aftermarket spoiler, I tried this but it was not enough. I had to but the stiffer bars. If the original poster does not have a spoiler, this may be enough.

post-386-1126676685_thumb.jpg

There are on mine. Here is a pic someone I know put up. When I put on my aftermarket spoiler, I tried this but it was not enough. I had to but the stiffer bars. If the original poster does not have a spoiler, this may be enough.

post-386-1126676685_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, the pictures and the notch approach has worked for the moment. But as mentioned above, I too will be adding a spoiler and I know this will not bridge the weight gap.

Eitherway, once again excellent feedback group

Cheers

• 10 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Rick, did you ever replace your original torsion bars?  For 2003 Lexus GS300

The part numbers for anyone that needs them: #11  Rear Left w/spoiler 6453230260

#10  Rear Right w/spoiler 6453130260

Please confirm part #'s with dealer for any changes, Rob