Code 13 Rpm

justintime

I have a 1991 LS400. The starter went bad on it and I just had it replaced with a new one. It costed me $724 (part and 5hours labor, plus 3 free hours of an additional labor). Anyway, the garage did a codes scan on the vehicle as the engine light was on when I brought it to them. I was hoping that the starter motor replacement would fix the "check engine" problem. They said that code read: 13 (RPM). Can anyone tell me what that might be? How can I fix it and what should I expect to pay?

code 13 refers to RPM positioning sensors. There is a left and a right sensor. When I had my timing belt replaced, the shop did not snap the sensor wire back into the groove so the timing belt actually rubs against both sensors, totally destroying them. It was $275 parts and labor for each sensor.

After fixing the sensor my unexpected sudden acceleration problem dissappeared, so I guess it was the sensor's fault.