Calling While In Motion

Hi Guys!

I just tried out the wire-cutting trick, but my phone still doesn't work while driving.

I found the light blue wire (bottom row, left ) in the left plug, and cut it, but to no avail.

My car only gor delivered on Friday, did Lexus change sth.? Or is there a difference with the models delivered here in Europe ?

Can anyone help me out?

Does 1 touch dialing work, It should even without bypass, esp. last number?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its baby blue. If your sitting in passenger seat looking at the back of nav screen left plug bottom left hand corner. Did you tape both sides of the wire once cut so they didnt touch each other by chance when you put it back together. There is a couple baby blue wires. Double check let me know if that doesnt work you will have to wait till I do a new one to check if they changed it.

Does 1 touch dialing work, It should even without bypass, esp. last number?

Everything works fine, exepts the override doesn't work an the f@# phone screen stills locks up as soon as I drive.

Its baby blue. If your sitting in passenger seat looking at the back of nav screen left plug bottom left hand corner. Did you tape both sides of the wire once cut so they didnt touch each other by chance when you put it back together. There is a couple baby blue wires. Double check let me know if that doesnt work you will have to wait till I do a new one to check if they changed it.

Well, I'll do a recheck, but I'm pretty sure I did cut the baby blue cable in the left bottom corner of the left plug. I did notice another blue cable but it was somewhere in the middle of the plug, don't remember the exact pin though. I taped both ends too, perhaps the tape fell off while reinstalling ???

• 5 weeks later...

I'll try to put this into word without pics.

1.Remove bezel around shifter start at the bottom 4 clips

2.remove heated seat panel cig lighter 2 clips pull it toward you

3.you will see 2 gold 10mm bolts remove them 4. now you have to get your head down low and look up you will see a 10mm gold bolt on both sides of the radio remove them becareful not to lose them. 5. You need to grab the bottom of the radio and give it a little tug there is a couple of clips holding it in. 6. Now unplug 2 antenna's and 3 plugs going to the radio remove and set it aside.

7. Now that the radio is out of the way you will see 2 silver 10mm bolts facing up holding in the nav screen remove them.

8. Now tug on the bottom of the nav screen a couple of times and it should come out.

9. Have another person in the driver seat to hold the nav screen so you can do the work.

10. From the passenger seat when you look at the the back of the nav screen you will see a baby blue wire at the bottom left corner of the plug.

11. That baby blue wire cut it far enough away from the radio so you can reconnect it if you want to and tape both sides.

Now put it all back together in reverse.

And now you can dial from nav screen while driving.

This fix is for rx330/rx400

Zube,

I had read in a forum somewhere that one of the wires had to be grounded, otherwise the GPS would be "jumpy"... have you heard anything like this? Are there any other issues you've come accross since you originally wrote this?

Well, I've rechecked, it was the right wire I cut, and the tpae didn't fall off, but the trick definitly doesn't work on my car.

Strange enough, hard to believe european cars do have a different wire layout.

If anyone else has an idea, I'm up for suggestions, as this phone lock-up slowly drives me mad!!!

Is there perhaps a way to detect on which cable the speed signal lies by taking out the headunit an having someone in the passengerseat check through all the cables with a multimeter or similar, while driving around?

Why can't you make outbound calls while the care is in motion, using the Nav screen and the phone books? Supposedly this is a safety feature (just like they disabled entering addresses for the GPS while in motion), but I think it was a failure to add safety.

People make cell calls from the cars all the time (while driving), and unless we get a national law against this (unlikely), it's going to continue. The most dangerous part of people driving and calling isn't talking on the phone, it's looking at the phone to dial the call. The nav screen is bigger, easier to read, and closer to the windshield. So if you could use the nav screen for your dialing, that would reduce the danger.

So why did Lexus choose to disable outboud dialing while in motion? And, more to the point, is there a way around this?

You can make outbound calls. I just purchased a 400h three days ago; our salesman showed me the way to circumvent the system. I apologize that I can't remember it right now, but I plan on calling him tomorrow and have him tell it to me again.

You can make outbound calls. I just purchased a 400h three days ago; our salesman showed me the way to circumvent the system. I apologize that I can't remember it right now, but I plan on calling him tomorrow and have him tell it to me again.

There are TWO ways you can make outbound calls while in motion...

One, is to take your NAV screen out of the dash and do some rewiring of your own so that the screen does not know that you are moving.

The other is to program the number you want to be able to call into the 1-touch screen before hand so it will be there when you needed it. These numbers will be available while in motion but the numbers (and names if you have them) will not show. This means you need to delvelop a cheat sheet or a system to remember which button is which number.

As for dialing a new number (one that you are presumably reading off of a piece of paper), then you should pull over and do this while stopped. At the very least hold the phone up so that you easliy see the traffic and the keypad at the same time (to the point about the nav screen location being safer).

• 2 weeks later...

Dan512 I didn't know you had a european version of the car I would have to see the car to figure it out. pkasin no you dont have to ground any wires just cut that sky blue wire.

Hi, I have italian RX400H.

The soft modify (menuù, push up, push down, etc.) doesn't work.

It's possible to use the telephone, or modify the navigation system in motion ?

I must cut a wire ?

Where is this wire ?

Thank you, Luke, Rome - Italy.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan512 I didn't know you had a european version of the car I would have to see the car to figure it out. pkasin no you dont have to ground any wires just cut that sky blue wire.

Zube, have you got instructions for accessing the back of the nav unit in a 2004 LS 430? Is the wire also baby blue? Thanks for all your suggestions on these boards.

• 1 month later...

Hi Zube, you seem to know a lot about disabling the bluetooth phone functions while the car is moving. I have seen your posts for the RX and GS models. Do you have the dashboard disassembly instructions, and details of which wire to cut, for the LS 430?

Thanks for all your suggestions in these forums!

Dolf.

• 9 months later...
Try this trick, a hidden menu, to override the display lockout, if you don't want to cut wires:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.p...mp;postcount=10

This will enable your navigation functions, however your phone will still be locked when you are in motion. I've used this for awhile. Zube's wire cutting solution took me all of 20 minutes and works perfectly and affects nothing else.

Jon

The trick above, to access a hidden menu, to override the navigation lockout, used to work on my 06 GS. However, since getting a DVD update to version 06.1, the trick doesn't work any more. Do you have an update for the trick?

Try this trick, a hidden menu, to override the display lockout, if you don't want to cut wires:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.p...mp;postcount=10

This will enable your navigation functions, however your phone will still be locked when you are in motion. I've used this for awhile. Zube's wire cutting solution took me all of 20 minutes and works perfectly and affects nothing else.

Jon

The trick above, to access a hidden menu, to override the navigation lockout, used to work on my 06 GS. However, since getting a DVD update to version 06.1, the trick doesn't work any more. Do you have an update for the trick?

It has been done by hacking the upgrade DVD ... you'll have to search around for the data as it's not at my finger tips.

It has been done by hacking the upgrade DVD ... you'll have to search around for the data as it's not at my finger tips.

It is all over the lexus forums.... basically you take the operating system file from the old nav DVD and the data files from the new one and burn a hybrid DVD.

It would be nice if someone knew of a similar touch screen hack like the old one had. I'm sure it's still in 6.1 version, just a matter of someone finding the right combo.