New Battery Helped Sound Quality?

BMAN1113

The other morning, my SC400 refused to start in the grocery store parking lot. I popped off my terminal caps and they were completely covered with a thick green and white oxidation-like material. Back at the house, I cleaned the terminals and tried to charge the battery. The five year old battery was toast, wouldn't hold charge. The alternator checked-out good, so I went and bought a heavy duty Interstate and hooked it up. Little did I know, I was in for a pleasant surprise. The car seemed to have more spunk and my stereo sound quality seemed to be a whole lot better. If you had read my prior postings you know that for the last couple of months, I have been experiencing a bass that sounded like it was "spitting" instead of "thumping". The overall sound was very metallic and treblely. I couldn't understand what was going on. I was about to pull the amp and send it to Florida to be rebuilt. Could that battery going gradually bad have been starving the large Nakamichi amp? The richness is definately back. I hope this isn't just a temporary coincidence. Have you all ever heard of an old battery causing the stereo quality to degrade?

The other morning, my SC400 refused to start in the grocery store parking lot.  I popped off my terminal caps and they were completely covered with a thick green and white oxidation-like material.  Back at the house, I cleaned the terminals and tried to charge the battery.  The five year old battery was toast, wouldn't hold charge.  The alternator checked-out good, so I went and bought a heavy duty Interstate and hooked it up.  Little did I know, I was in for a pleasant surprise.  The car seemed to have more spunk and my stereo sound quality seemed to be a whole lot better.  If you had read my prior postings you know that for the last couple of months, I have been experiencing a bass that sounded like it was "spitting" instead of "thumping".  The overall sound was very metallic and treblely.  I couldn't understand what was going on.  I was about to pull the amp and send it to Florida to be rebuilt.  Could that battery going gradually bad have been starving the large Nakamichi amp?  The richness is definately back.  I hope this isn't just a temporary coincidence.  Have you all ever heard of an old battery causing the stereo quality to degrade?

The same thing happened to me in a previous car. It was a 1990 SSE Bonneville. The sound quality dropped and even the radio went intermintent. Found all the this corrosion on the battery terminals and cleaned them off and still couldn't get a jump to start the car. Replaced battery and all was wonderful again. The radio held stations clear and sharp and the sound quality was great again. The corrosion on the terminals provides for a poor connection resulting in a draining circuit and affects the entire electrical system. Easy fix. :rolleyes:

Flashjet