Front Brake Rotor Seize

flippu10

Has anybody have this experience? I've done just about everything including pounding the rotor out, metal to metal. I used 2 bolts that screw in both sides of the rotor to pop it out, but the threads were stripped from the force. Any other ideas?

What you don't want to do is hit the rotor itself. It's not going to help if you break off outside chunks.

I'd try a dead blow hammer first, then maybe take a chisel & a sledge & split the rotor where the bolt holes are. I had to do that on my civic the first time around years ago.

But that's seriously a last resort to me.

What you don't want to do is hit the rotor itself. It's not going to help if you break off outside chunks.

I'd try a dead blow hammer first, then maybe take a chisel & a sledge & split the rotor where the bolt holes are. I had to do that on my civic the first time around years ago.

Like you said, I think that will be my last resort.

I saw a similar thread during my search. It looked like SKperformance referred to some tutorials he/she published. Don't know how to get to it. I'm a new member.

Like you said, I think that will be my last resort.

I saw a similar thread during my search. It looked like SKperformance referred to some tutorials he/she published. Don't know how to get to it. I'm a new member.

This happens to British cars all the time. Here's what I do to fix my MGB...

** Take the wheel off. Spray penetrating oil around the hub and wheel studs/lugs. This WILL destroy your brake pads - but hey, your replacing them anyway, right??

** Put the wheel back on, but DO NOT tighten the lug nuts. Leave them loose enough that you can feel some movement when you "wiggle" the wheel

** now... here's the tricky part... you have to drive the car VERY SLOWLY in a circle. Apply the brakes a few times as you go. Now drive (remember the VERY SLOWLY part???) in a circle in the other direction, on and off the brakes. You can go in reverse, too.

** Jack up the car - off with the wheel - check to see if the brake has come "unstuck". If not, repeat a few times until it comes loose.

Haven't tried this on my Lexus, but it has worked like a charm on other vehicles I have owned. It works REALLY well if a wheel ever becomes stuck on the hub, but it has worked for brake rotors too.

The combination of the penetrating oil, wobbly motion of the loose wheel, and application of the brakes on & off apply a lot of different forces to the wheel studs and hub, enough to break the rotor and hub free.

tck...

That sounds like a real good idea. I'll try that this weekend. I'll let you know if it works, or not.

That's actually a really good idea.

The way I see it in theory; it'll push the roting into the studs, but it'll knock them off.

And if it doesn't work do it in reverse too! LoL!