1991 Es250

showpan

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 91 es250 that runs fairly well. I found a receipt in the car that shows the previous owner had the motor and trans rebuilt and many other parts replaced. I also have a 91 Camry that runs well.

I don't have the manual yet but I do have the one for the Camry (a cheapo Haynes...lol)

Anyway, I a have a few problems and appreciate any help,

The engine check light was on and when I checked the ECU code, it showed a 7-1 which the manual states as an EGR problem but I have cleared it and now there's nothing but I haven't driven it since. When you turn the key on, the fans both run on high. I took the relays out of the Camry and tried them in the Lexus and there is no change. I jumpered out the sensor going into the thermostat housing and again no change so I don't know, maybe another sensor somewhere? When you start the car, the idle is high, 1100-1200 rpm and doesn't come down but does when the AC compressor runs which is another problem. The AC blows hot, the fan doesn't work on low 1 and 2, only high 3 and 4. I suspect a bad resistor pack but can't find it. The compressor wasn't running so I ran a wire direct and it took a small charge to top it off but still no cold air. The dampers all seem to work as I watched them operate in all modes. I don't know where the exp valve is, it doesn't show it in my manual, a cheapo Haynes, lol, I know. I thought the urine smell was from the previous owner...lol...I'll try the Lysol. Is there a filter?

Anyway, I think I got another good deal for $400, The brakes are weak and the front end is a little loose but it runs well. I buy these cars at auction for my ride to work, 140 miles per day.I refuse to buy new since after a year or two they aren't worth anything and I've lost thousands instead of a thousand. Since I live in the desert, I need AC though. Again, thanks for any help.

I have a ES250 also, if you need any pages from the manual let me know and I'll be happy to send you some pictures or attempt to scan them onto my dad's computer; I just have a regular printer.

If you can't PM yet, just contact me through here. :D

I guess I'm not allowed to use the PM so if you could just let me know where the sensors are that I need to check next, that would be very helpful. I did get a chance to look at it a little further and I think I found the resister pack under the dash nere the blower. The idle was much higher than I stated as it starts around 1600 and then comes down to about 1200. I found a broken wire to one of the sensore attached to the battery tray, whatever that's for? It didn't change any symptoms though. Also, where is the exp valve and what is the sensor into the thermostat housing as I can count it out. Thanks

update:

I found the resistor pack to have a breah in the coil so I need to replace it but I can't seem to get the cover off the evap cooler to get to the expansion valve. It seems there are two more metal clips on the back that I can't reach, does anyone have any tricks for those? I think I found all the screws but there were two clips on the front side that are probably the same on the back....who would do that....lol

update:

Oh well, I ripped the thing out of there and it doesn't need any fasteners on the backside anymore...lol

I ordered the expansion valve.

Does anyone know where the low preasure cut off switch is?