Motor Oil Shelf Life

Gumart1

I have always kept a case or two of motor oil in my garage in Chicago. I just assumed it would hold up fine at least for a year. Should I be keeping it indoors? I hate to keep anything toxic in my house! Below is an e-mail I received from Mobil1 regarding the shelf life of their oil:

"If the motor oil is not in a controlled climate we cannot make a recommendation because the condition of the motor oil is unknown especially if the motor oil experienced temperature extremes (hot and cold). The wise decision would be not to use the motor oil in an automobile, maybe a lawn equipment if applicable."

From: Mobil Product Information <mobilproducts@ourdataworks.com>

Subject: (no subject)

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:24:04 -0500

"If the container is unopened and kept in a controlled climate the shelf-life of the product is 5 years."

The response from Mobil seems quite odd. I think the "coded" message is that "The wise decision would be not to use the motor oil in an automobile so we can sell more Mobil 1 motor oil."

Is Mobil 1 being delivered in tropical climates in refrigerated trucks or in Northern winter climates in heated trucks? <_<

Chicago isn't exactly Siberia ... OK, maybe it is! LOL

"If the motor oil is not in a controlled climate we cannot make a recommendation because the condition of the motor oil is unknown especially if the motor oil experienced temperature extremes (hot and cold). The wise decision would be not to use the motor oil in an automobile, maybe a lawn equipment if applicable."

"If the container is unopened and kept in a controlled climate the shelf-life of the product is 5 years."

The first paragraph is very poorly worded, and makes little sense to me. Are there any temperature extremes which do not involve hot or cold? I can't believe anyone at Mobil Corp would put their name to it.

The second statement is one I have read before, and seems likely.

With the changes in API and ILSAC service requirements after five years the oil will be obsolete for warranty approval, although still fine for engines rated for the existing service at that time.