What Hex Wrench To Use For Transmission Oil Change

dchan865

Greetings veryone!

I hope someone can give me some tips on this. I am about to change my transmission oil and need to remove the 10mm hex nut. I read alot of tips on this subject so I have an idea what I am about to do.

I've always use smaller hex tool to install and remove furnitues but not on cars.

Is there one out there that's big enough to provide the torgue to remove the nut?

Also, what brand(stanley, craftsman) should I get? or Where did you get yours from? Sears, Pepboys, Kragen??

Also, there's only one nut I have to remove, right? I only saw one but want to be be sure so nothing get screw up.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-DC

10 mm L shaped Allen wrench is good enough for me to loosen tranny and transfer case drain plugs.  If need more torque, Sears has craftsman 3/8 or 1/2 drive sockets, just use breaker bar, torque wrench, or a long rachet to gain leverage.

Thanks, TunedRX300 for the tip! I guess I'll go to Sears.

I went to Sears and got the 1/2 drive socket with the 10mm hex head, worked great.  Plus it's perfect with an extention added for doing the rear differential.

I went to Sears today and got the 10mm hex($5.49 cost). Craftsman made it so I think I am ready to tackle this task this weekend.

Just want to say thanks to all the tips you guys provided. This gave me the confidence to do this job. I changed the fluid(it was dirty) this weekend and it weny smoothly. I am planning to do this every 15K from now on.

Next, I will try to change the differential and any fluid that exist.

Front differential you need a suction gun (Autozone), 15/16 socket, and an open 15/16 wrench in addition to the 10mm socket.

TunedRC, is the front differential drain plug easy to find? I have no clue where it is? Is it obvious to spot? Keep in mind I have the FWD version.

thanks!

Front differential you need a suction gun (Autozone), 15/16 socket, and an open 15/16 wrench in addition to the 10mm socket.

TunedRC, is the front differential drain plug easy to find? I have no clue where it is? Is it obvious to spot? Keep in mind I have the FWD version.

thanks!

You need to jack up the car slightly and go under the front axel, in the middle of the axel is the front differential. See my posting near the end of this thread. Be sure to loosen the fill plug first.

Front Differential DIY