60k Mile Service

Cheers!

According to 98 ES300 owner's manual, the following items need to be done at 60K miles:

-Replace oil and filter

-Replace air filter

-Replace spark plugs

-Replace coolant

-Replace brake fluid

Dealer is asking for more than $1200 for this, and they are not going to get it from me. I don't want to invest in a shop manual just for this service, so I am hoping that someone can help me with the following:

-Which spark plugs should I replace the existing ones with?

-What are the torque specs for the spark plugs?

-Are there any special instructions as far as removing and replacing spark plugs? (I am used to old and simple GM V8s)

-Is it enough so simply let the radiator drain for the coolant replacement?

-How do I replace brake fluid?

-Transmission fluid is not mentioned. Is it necessary to change that too?

-Any other tips?

Help is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I will be in the same situation in a year or two and I will NOT pay 900-1200 for those items. I also have a 98' beauty :)

1. Oil change is easy.

2. There are some good post on plug removal. The rear 3 are difficult but do-able. I would like to know the torque spec as well. Plug wires????Should they replaced as well at 60K???

3. I asked about the Anti-freeze service and the price they quoted me was only for a "drain". Flush is extra. So drain it is!

4. I would drain the transmission fluid, but I have seen places say use Toyo type 4 but the manual states dextron2 or 3, confused here, help!

5 . I would also drain and fill the differential fluid, I believe it is 75W-90.

6. Replace air filter with stock, or a washable like K&N or Amsoil.

7. Check your Power steering fluid, most likely nothing need to be done there as long as fluid level is constant and not burnt or dirty.

I am sure I will think of some other things.

Check with Lexus certified Toyota dealers, the service is usually the same and is half the price. Tranny is flushed at 60k (Lexus wants to do it every 15k).

Do what you can, and have Lexus or Toyota do the flushy items.

You can request the 60k but you can tell them not to do certain items.

Oil/filter, plugs (manual recommends Denso or NGK), air filter, tire rotation, wiper blade replacement, brake pad inspection, car wash (inside and out), AC filter replacement can all be done by you in your driveway.

The tranny, coolant, brake fluid and diff flushes I personnaly would leave to the guys with the flush machines.

steviej

Sullivan Auto Mall in Kingston, right off Rt. 3. Lexus certified.

There is a shopping mall (Independance Mall) next door, so you can have something to do while waiting. Their waiting room is pretty good, they put out food all day, TV etc.

about 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of Lexus of Norwood.

Steve

I can add a little assistance here, but not much as I don't have near the "Lexus experience" as others on this forum, but just bought a ES300 (90k miles) and am going through all the servicing items to ensure they're up to date.

My 1997 ES300 owners manual calls for Dexron II or III in both the transmission and differential.

Both drain plugs are very accessible. Haynes manual recommends you remove the strainer and clean it also, which requires removal of the transmission drain pan and a new gasket.

Draining the radiator removed maybe 50% (or less) of coolant. In the very front of your block is a very easily accessible drain plug that will remove a whole lot more. Supposedly there's a drain plug in back but I haven't been able to find it, so I'm sure it's a big pain. Based on how much fluid came out of my radiator and front block drain plug in comparison with the listed capacity of the system, I'd say it removed about 90% of the fluid (100% is desireable). Don't forget to also dump the overfill reservoir (also very easy as one 10mm bolt will remove it).

I didn't want to pay for a flush, so drained everything I could, refilled the system and ran it (with the heater on), then drained again. Did this a couple times to ensure as much old as possible was removed. This still was not as good as a "true flush", I'm just real tight about paying somebody to work on any car.

Hope some of this helps.

I'm dealing with some other of the same issues as you, so hope more experienced Lexus owners will add to your post.

Jeff Hauck

Gresham, OR.

Thanks StevieJ, I'll check them out!

Jhauck, I believe there are three drains for the radiator, one on the radiator itself under the covering near center, one on the front, and the hard to find one at the rear. So by turning the nut, it releases the fluid via the small extended pipe?

And yes, the tranny fluid says to use Dex 2 or 3, but a Lexus parts department e-mailed me back saying that the Toyo Type-4 is safe for all applications, still not sure on this point.

Thanks JPI,

yup, parts guy just confirmed what you said, he does NOT reccommend using anything other than whats stated in the manual.

He also gave me a hint on the ac air filter on a '98, I will post that on that link after I check out what he said.

JPI,

you are right regarding using only the specified ATF type. There is a Lexus TSB003-98 (and 99) that states that they are not interchangeable. Is it OK to use synthetic ATF Dextron 2 or 3 like Mobil 1's ATF?

When I looked at my sales receipt for my 30K service, looks like they used hypoid 75W-90? Why would they do that?