Oil Leak

Hi guys,

Recently I placed a faulty oil filter on my car while changing oil. When I cranked it up, oil gushed everywhere. Engine is not knocking or making any funny nioses. It drives perfectly. However I have had to pull over three times in the past month to put in another quart of oil. The light will come on while I'm driving down the road. It scares me half to death. One mechanic says that he's going to wash it down and pinpoint the leak. He thinks it may be the oil filter gasket. How much am I looking at getting that fixed. Anyone else have that problem. The car is running fine its just leaking.

Thanx,

Keven

1996 ES300 100,700 miles

post-12293-1122672210_thumb.jpg

Next to nothing. The oil filter standoff is held on by four nuts/bolts. You take it off, you put some RTV on it, you put it back on.

Wait about two hours to set and it's fixed.

Taking the exhaust manifold off, or moving it out of the way makes it easy to get to.

I bet you put the filter on incorrectly, and it didn't seal. Buy a new filter and put it on first.

FYI, orange light is low oil level. Normally comes on when you're a quart low (Top quart is fillter anyways). If you see the RED oil light come on -> That's low oil pressure.

If you see the red light, immediately shift to neutral, and let off the gas so the engine idles.

Toyota v6's have very, very little oil pressure when idling, and that will minimize the chance any damage is done. If the light doesn't go out in ten seconds once it hits an idle, shut it down.