Steering Rack Seals

Dealer said a slow seep of fluid into the boots, due to some seals gradually wearing out. How hard are these to replace?

He wanted to replace the entire assembly, but finally admitted it wasn't necessary, just the seal was bad. :chairshot:

Yeah I'd like to know the same thing. What a shame these steering racks are being replaced not because they are actually wearing out, but merely because some rubber boots / seals need renewing. I know Toyota sells CV boot replacement kits, power steering reseal kits, air conditioning compressor reseal kits, but I don't know if they make a kit for the steering rack.

Yeah I'd like to know the same thing.  What a shame these steering racks are being replaced not because they are actually wearing out, but merely because some rubber boots / seals need renewing.  I know Toyota sells CV boot replacement kits, power steering reseal kits, air conditioning compressor reseal kits, but I don't know if they make a kit for the steering rack.

Tell me about it.

Anyone done this?

I looked at planet soarer, he has a tutorial on replacing the bushings but that' it on steering that I could find.

I'm actually still in process of selling the car, have three people with offers for the ask price, but I don't want to sell a serious problem. (All three know Lexus did the inspection and the results.)

it actually requires quite alot of work. you need to make punches to push out the seals( i used some pvc pipe and a punch i machined out of aluminum.) you need some wired tools like i think it was a 32mm hex? i had to mill out a rectangle block that was 32mm and turn it with a monkey wrench. lots of work but its possible.