Ls 430 Subwoofer Question

JustSomeGuy

Hello all, I have a 2002 LS430 with Mark Levinson. Problem is that my rear speaker/sub-woofer has a bad low-frequency rattle problem. The rattle does not go on all the time... just when there are strong low frequencies playing. I am hoping that this is caused by loose screws or seals. I am going to try to tighten the screws and check all the seals around the speaker.

What's the best way to get to the rear speaker to tighten the screws and check seals? I think I can get to it from the trunk. Any info is appreciated.

Answering my own question, at this point I think the sub is blown. I called the dealer and was told that speakers are covered under CPO warranty so I am going to bring the car to the dealer to have them take a look. It's possible that that paper cone is blown or has a tear in it.

• 1 month later...

Glad it worked out for you, I have the same problem in my 01 w/ the ML speaker and I have yet to find a way to get to the sub (no CPO for me...doh) ... however I was able to disable it.... the replacement is actually pretty inexpensive considering....quoted 270.00 at the dealer.... not sure I want to go that route.... the cone APPEARS to be paper and if I can find a suitable aftermarket replacement w/ the right resistance / specs I'll probably go that router, if I can find a way to get it out...it appears that the whole package shelf has to be removed...

:cheers: from down under

pull out sub and post to totalrecoil.com (check their website for details) in melbourne australia.they rebuild and return in a week and sub is better than new.charge about $100aud (us$75) plus post. these guys know their stuff. speakers rot fast in the aussie sun- believe me.