Rx 300 4wd 1999 Carfax Trans Issues

Lexus2005

Thank you members and site managers/developer for the information provided by this forum since I am more informed about my recent purchase of a 1999 Lexus RX 300 4wd. However, according to carfax it has been involved in 2 accidents with other vehicles which involved police accident reports and collision repair facility, but is not declared salvage, it also has no fire damage, no airbag deployment, no frame damage, no damage disclosure reports, no lemon. Another carfax report lists odometer readings and within an 11 month span the odometer increased by less than 10 miles. I just purchased this car, not from a lexus dealer, and because of the reports of the transmission on your forum, I asked the car dealer for any information he may have, and of course he says the car is fine. The one key I was provided does not fit in the glove compartment so I think it is not the master key. The car drives fine now and I have no major complaints except a humming or vibrating sound when the cars headlights are on and I have the cars brakes applied in the drive gear, such as at night at a stoplight for example. Once the headlights are off and I am in the same gear with the brakes applied, the humming sound is noticeably reduced. If anyone is familiar with used car sales since this car was recently purchased I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

when did you run the carfax? starting june 1 they picked up more sources, and now may show more reports.

1st thing to do is check the inside of your fenders, Along the inside edge you will find a vin tag. These can be found on the inside of any door, hood, etc. If they are missing your fenders have been replaced{ most likely frame damage} Take it to another body shop and have them inspect it.

Thanks lexus411 and I ran the carfax 2 days ago. I spoke with the car dealer and he said minor accidents are common, but I will check the fenders and try a body shop. The mileage is around 77,000 and I wonder if any current or past trans problem can be detected. The mileage increased 10 miles in 11 months and I was told by the dealer this meant it sat in a car lot for sale but I am still not sure if that means anything.

I

when did you run the carfax? starting june 1 they picked up more sources, and now may show more reports.

1st thing to do is check the inside of your fenders, Along the inside edge you will find a vin tag. These can be found on the inside of any door, hood, etc. If they are missing your fenders have been replaced{ most likely frame damage} Take it to another body shop and have them inspect it.

the car will usually tell you that it was put into dealer inventory. Its definitely posible it sat on a dealer lot and didnt sell because of one reason or another. Very possible this was a sludge car, that sat around to the engine was replaced. Send me a private message with the vin and I should be able to pull more history.

It could be nothing, but I would be very suspicious of a car that only registered 10 miles in 11 months. It's highly unusual that a RX would sit on a lot that long or take that long for an engine replacement due to sludge.

Thanks mykey00 and Lexus411. I tried PM and email and said not allowed. I checked the doors (including for the cargo area) and the front bumbers and the vintag is on them but the rear bumber I am not sure where that would be. Anyother input would be helpful.

It could be nothing, but I would be very suspicious of a car that only registered 10 miles in 11 months. It's highly unusual that a RX would sit on a lot that long or take that long for an engine replacement due to sludge.