Automatic Lock Problems

I have a 98 GS400 and the right rear door will not lock automatically. The lever moves about 1/4 of the way, then moves back to the unlocked position. This seems to only happen during the heat of the day, Dallas, 90++ degrees. In the mornings when the temp is in the 70's or 80's, the lock works as intended - no problems.

The door unlocks with no difficulties regardless of the outside temp.

Any ideas on the remedy?

Thanks!

I have a 98 GS400 and the right rear door will not lock automatically. The lever moves about 1/4 of the way, then moves back to the unlocked position. This seems to only happen during the heat of the day, Dallas, 90++ degrees. In the mornings when the temp is in the 70's or 80's, the lock works as intended - no problems.

The door unlocks with no difficulties regardless of the outside temp.

Any ideas on the remedy?

Thanks!

Clean and or replace the actuator and lube the lock mechanism <_<

Actually, this problem seems to be pretty common. The lock actuator motor, door open switch, etc. are all contained in an integrated unit. There isn't much you can do to it besides lube or replace it. It can be found Here. It's about $250.00 at your local stealer. I know because I replaced the exact same unit on the same year car recently. The door open/light switch was sticking and I was unable to lock any doors electrically because the computer thought I left the door open. The only solution was to replace in my case.

If you remove the door panel and take the lock assembly out of the door you might try cleaning all the old grease from it and relubing it. In some cases, the old grease will harden and make the moving parts start to stick.

Instructions for removing the assembly can be found in a previous post Here. Make sure the window is up when you start. You need only remove the door panel and the lock mechanism itself.