Is300 Sportcross & Car Washes

GRSKMS

I bought my 2004 IS300 Sportcross in 10/03. Since then I have been using a Pennzoil Soft Touch car wash, 2 times/month, maybe more in the winter months. In May '05, I was in the wash, passing thru the blowers when I heard a loud "whap-whap-whap" sound. Before I could wonder what was happening, I was out of the wash and an inspection of the car showed nothing wrong. Two weeks later, I went thru again and this time I watched in a mirror as I went thru the blowers and saw that the roof moldings were being lifted and slapped back down by the pressure from the blowers. And as I exited the wash, one of the moldings was hanging down the side of the car. It had come loose on one end. My dealer replaced the moldings on June 6. I used the car wash on June 23 and the same slapping sound occurred again. I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow and they told me they would apply a very strong adhesive to the moldings hoping that will solve the problem. I was also advised to use a touchless car wash. What do you think? Has anyone had similar problems with carwashes? I don't think I should be limited to a particular type of carwash. I'm afraid I've got a lemon and, trouble is, I really love this car!

I don't think you've gotten a lemon. I would highly recomend using a touchless car wash. Or even better, avoid all car washes, and wash it yourself by hand. Everytime I have ever gone through a traditional car wash, it has either been scratched or damaged. The touchless ones are nice but, they don't get your car as clean.

I seriously doubt the car can be considered a lemon because of a molding strip that may be getting snagged by whatever system is in use at that carwash.

I tend to stay away from any sort of carwash that touches the car. Even "Soft".

The adhesives they make for moldings are very strong and should hold steady if applied correctly and allowed to dry properly.

Look for anyplace that has the LaserWash 4000. Does and awesome job and doesn't touch the car.

When in doubt, do it yourself.

I spring for a complete detailing by a professional 3x year. Then the laserwash about every other week.

steviej

Dude you have to be kidding right??? I work for a highline dealer and have people

all the time do stupid things with their cars and then claim it's a lemon. How bout hand washing the car. God forbid someone take personal responsiblilty for their car and their actions. Let's see it happened once, why don't I go through the wash again... How bout no!!!!!!!!!! Lemon lol

Dude you have to be kidding right??? I work for a highline dealer and have people

all the time do stupid things with their cars and then claim it's a lemon. How bout hand washing the car. God forbid someone take personal responsiblilty for their car and their actions. Let's see it happened once, why don't I go through the wash again... How bout no!!!!!!!!!! Lemon lol

iceman, your point is well taken but your attitude is a bit overwhelming. Please tone it down a tad, this is a friendly place and not everyone may be as auto-savy as you.

On the other hand, welcome to LOC.

steviej

ES/IS Forum Moderator

iceman, your point is well taken but your attitude is a bit overwhelming. Please tone it down a tad, this is a friendly place and not everyone may be as auto-savy as you.

On the other hand, welcome to LOC.

steviej

ES/IS Forum Moderator

All apologizes :cheers: