How Do I Get My Front Caliper Bolts Out?

I am in the process of changing my front rotors. I took the wheel off. Now, do I need to take off the assembly like I am changing my pads or do I need to take the "whole" caliper assembly off? If I need to take the "whole" assembly off, I can not get those 2 big bolts (not the ones holding the brake pads in, the other bigger ones back there) off! What do I need to do? I already broke away the rotor, I just need to get this dang caliper assembly out of the way! Please help! I even used PB Blaster, to no avail! :censored:

It's called the caliper bracket on most cars. It is very tight, for obvious reasons. No amount of penetrating oil is going to reduce the need for a big breaker bar and some grunt. Turn the steering outboard to get better access.

There is no need to remove the caliper bracket (torque plate in Lexus speak) to change the pads. Just remove the two smaller guide pin bolts and the piston assembly will lift off the bracket. Be sure to use a wrench on the guide pins so they don't turn when you are removing the bolts. If they turn the dust boots can be damaged. Make sure the dust boots are in their proper position when you reassemble. If water gets inside the sliding pins, frozen calipers will result. Ask me how I know! :angry:

Slide pin bolts get 25 ft-lb and the torque plate bolts get 87 ft-lb.

There is no need to remove the caliper bracket (torque plate in Lexus speak) to change the pads. Just remove the two smaller guide pin bolts and the piston assembly will lift off the bracket. Be sure to use a wrench on the guide pins so they don't turn when you are removing the bolts. If they turn the dust boots can be damaged. Make sure the dust boots are in their proper position when you reassemble. If water gets inside the sliding pins, frozen calipers will result. Ask me how I know!  :angry:

Slide pin bolts get 25 ft-lb and the torque plate bolts get 87 ft-lb.

:D Guy, He has a 1st gen and he's doing rotors, so he'll have to remove the calipers.