Has The Odometer Been Disconnected?

lecorb1504

I've been searching for a '94-'98 LS400 and this is the second time I've noticed something strange about the carfax mileage report on two different cars. The last owners, although owning the car for 2-3 years, have put very little miles (under 2000 miles on one and under 1000 on the other) on the car during their ownership. Both claimed that they this was because they had other cars to drive. And both cars had under 100k miles (98k & 99k).

My question is whether there is a technique for determining whether the odometer has been disconnected for a period of time? Or is there a computer a Lexus dealership can attach to the car to determine if this is the case?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

I'm not sure about the 98 model, but I know the 89-94 models have a glitch with the instrument lights and if someone replaced the cluster with a new one, the actual mileage counter is reset to zero if done incorrectly. That might be the cause for the 94'. I would have the dealership run the vin's and check if the report indicated anything about the cluster panel being serviced. If not, I would ask the seller if they had it replaced, and by who. I don't know how you could tamper with the odometer in these cars, since they're digital in nature and not the standard tumbler/roller style.

But, I also don't understand the whole tom cruise/katie holmes thing either...so to each is his own! :blink:

Its very easy to use an alternate Odo. If you look on Ebay, its flooded with LS odo's. They could have installed one on the car, while the original odo kept the same miles, then changed back and traveled some more so its not very suspicious. Its very likely that’s what happened. No one really pays insurance, and keeps a car for three years driving only 1000 per year; Exotic cars see more then that.

New to the forum, have related question in instrument lights on '93 LS - no instrumetn lights on cool days, but oh in warm weather. Is thia a common problem? Any ideas on where to start looking? This car has 65,000 miles and don't want to mess up the odometer.

New to the forum, have related question in instrument lights on '93 LS - no instrumetn lights on cool days, but oh in warm weather. Is thia a common problem? Any ideas on where to start looking? This car has 65,000 miles and don't want to mess up the odometer.

I also have a 93 LS...

Check out the Jim Walker cluster repair on eBay. $225