Used Ls400

twrenn

I am considering buying a 1991 LS400 with 200k on it. I have read the forums and understand that it's a very reliable car. I am gonna get it checked out but wanted some feedback. Also, what is the horsepower on the V8 for a 1991 model? What performance upgrades can I do? I have been an SUV owner my whole life and feel weird about buying a car, but the LS400 looks great and has lots of room. Any advise is appreciated.

The '91 has 250hp. Performance modifications are going to be very limited since the LS is essentially a well built and engineered Town Car (in my mind at least). I have 256.5k miles on my '95, and she's never caused any trouble.

I wouldn't let the mileage scare you. LSs tend to face only small, irritating problems like cracked bushings, a/c failure, quirky interior electronics(speedo needles and lcds), leaky ps pumps etc. Catastrophic failure of the engine/tranny is very rare.

:cheers:

Thanks for the help, I feel a little better about it now.

The '91 has 250hp. Performance modifications are going to be very limited since the LS is essentially a well built and engineered Town Car (in my mind at least). I have 256.5k miles on my '95, and she's never caused any trouble.

I wouldn't let the mileage scare you. LSs tend to face only small, irritating problems like cracked bushings, a/c failure, quirky interior electronics(speedo needles and lcds), leaky ps pumps etc. Catastrophic failure of the engine/tranny is very rare.

:cheers: