Fuel Gauge

Hello,

I have a 1993 sc300 and I am having some issues with my fuel gauge. I searched around, however, I am not sure just how common these issues are and how to resolve them. I am a second owner, so my first day with the car, the needle was apparently stuck around a quarter tank, and I just thought I was getting great mileage until the car stopped (out of gas). In retrospect, it seems the low fuel light indeed did work, but I did not notice it. So, in my 3-4 weeks as the owner, I have avoided the problem of the gauge needle getting stuck at 1/4 tank by simply filling when it reaches this point. This, though, is not the only issue with the gauge I am afraid. After I fill up, it takes roughly 10 minutes of driving for the gauge needle to finally float up to Full, and often floats above the line. The needle then seemingly acts normally until 1/4 tank. So...long story not so short, could this help me? :blink: Thanks in advance :cheers:

• 8 months later...

Hey -

I just found your posting on the site (from June 50).. I can't help but reply, I am basically having the same problem. The exception being, that mine stated acting up after the professionals at le.t.ch lighting did a superb(ha ha) job of fixing my cluster needles. Before they got my money, they promised me the world. Since then, they will no longer answer my emails regarding my ongoing situation. So much for that outfit. Right now, my recomendation would be for people to spend the money and send their insturment clusters to the dealer for work. At least, they shouls stand behind their work. the other guys won't. Anyway, I also have posted in the forum and asked for help regarding this issue but have gotten no replies,. I can't believe that there isn't someone out there in this forum who would have a technical manual and at least be able to give us some direction regarding this fuel gauge. The link above to the repair./clean of the sending unit is for a SC400 which is not like the SC300 at all. I called my local dealer today and asked him if he would test the resistence on my old sending unit if I brought it in. He very rudely told me that they would not. I mean I didn't ask him to do it for free, I just asked him if he would speck it for me. Nice guys huh? I guess its tough to make money at $125.00 hr.. Anyway, you can easily remove your sending unit from the gas tank and put a multimeter on it to see if it is sending different voltages out when you menually move the float arm. If the voltage doesn't vary, then your sending unit is bad. Cost $130.00 approx from dealer. You install. I still believe that there is a way to calibrate the fuel gauge itself, but no-one is willing to give it up. Why - I don't know. I do know that Lextech lighting will not let me post and ask questions on their forum even though I am a customer in good standing. I guess they only want you post and say wow 'look at all the pretty lights'. . . Anyway, let me know how you make out...

vman1100... java script:emoticon(':censored:', 'smid_16')

:censored:

• 10 years later...

Old thread brought back.  I had Le*te*h install a 32 LED cluster bulbs and "Waterfall" needles in a Group Buy thru the other site in 2005.  Some of the bulbs have quit and the needles can only be seen at night.  I took the Cluster out today and separated the boards and found a Nest of solder and resisters.  Can I reverse this or do I need another cluster?

The needles have glue all over them.  What can I use to soften glue?

IMG_8569.JPG

IMG_8567.JPG

IMG_8568.JPG

IMG_8543.JPG

resisters were added to the Speedo & Tach shafts.  Also resister on each side of first board.

I reinstalled the cluster and left off the Smoke Cover.  Tomorrow I will see if I can see the needles.

I'm searching for another cluster.

IMG_8546.JPG

IMG_8544.JPG

IMG_8541.JPG

IMG_8582.JPG