Check Engine Light After Long Highway Drive

flanker271

I know for 2nd and 3rd generation owners here, some have experienced engine die after a long drive on the highway. But for my 92, I have the problem of check engine light lighting up after a long drive on the highway. Autozone said the light indicated code #13.

Usually after driving for over 3 hours on the freeway, the check engine light will light up if I slow down to a crawl. If I restart the engine and get back on the freeway, the light will go away. I did this many times and the same results occurs every single time.

Any thoughts on this? Could this also be caused by dirty throttle body?

So what does a crankshaft position sensor do? Seems to me if the crankshaft was out of position, the engine wouldn't run? Whatever, it sounds expensive.

I just got my car back from my Toyota dealer. When the previous shop replaced my Timing Belt, they didn't snap the left throttle positioning sensor wire into its slot. So, the timing belt is rubbing against the wire, eating away little by little. This is why I've been getting the light intermediately on and off. It was a $275 fix.

$4,788.44 dallors into repair now...

Is a Mercedes this expensive to maintain?

$4,788.44 dallors into repair now...

Is a Mercedes this expensive to maintain?

Actually a Mercedes is about 2x more expensive to maintain (I know from personal experience). It also helps when you take your car to a good mechanic and not some bonehead that doesn't put the wires back together correctly. Don't forget that you're dealing with a 13 year old car at this point so you can expect some additional maintenance costs as long term parts start to wear out.

Don't forget that you're dealing with a 13 year old car at this point so you can expect some additional maintenance costs as long term parts start to wear out.

Yes I'm fully aware of that. This is why I'm still willing to spend $$ into repair in my beloved LS.

I'm keeping her for a while :)