Just Had My Rear Brakes Done

I had a local shop do my rear brakes on my 98 GS3. I don't do any agressive driving - in fact I'm the guy you want to buy from because I baby my cars.

The mechanic said that I had 15% on the outboard pads and 35% on the inboard pads. He said I needed to have the calipers cleaned and lubricated to free-up sticky pistons, which caused the uneven wear. I'm no mechanic but it sounded right, and the pads did look to be of different thicknesses. So he serviced the calipers, installed Akebono cermaic pads, and machined the rotors for $237. The dealer quoted $300 without looking at my car.

Did I get scammed on the caliper servicing?

Thanks guys.

• 2 months later...
I had a local shop do my rear brakes on my 98 GS3.  I don't do any agressive driving - in fact I'm the guy you want to buy from because I baby my cars.

The mechanic said that I had 15% on the outboard pads and 35% on the inboard pads.  He said I needed to have the calipers cleaned and lubricated to free-up sticky pistons, which caused the uneven wear.  I'm no mechanic but it sounded right, and the pads did look to be of different thicknesses.  So he serviced the calipers, installed Akebono cermaic pads, and machined the rotors for $237.  The dealer quoted $300 without looking at my car.

Did I get scammed on the caliper servicing?

Thanks guys.

lostinthewoods,

You got a good deel, say with that mechanic. I took my car in for service bacause my break padal does not return as quickly after replacing all four brakes with cermaic pads. The dealer gave me some bull about after market pad and wanted to replace pad and service rotors, and flush brake fluid for $500 plus. It was clear that the Calipers need to be cleaned and lubricated to free-up sticky pistons.

Installing the new pads requires pushing the pistons back into their bores. In doing that one can judge whether the pistons and seals are a bit sticky. Normally they are not. The major source of friction are the guide pins, which are re-lubed every pad change anyways. That usually all that is needed. Take about 30 seconds. More wear on the outside pad indicates that the guide pins are sticky.

More wear on the outside pad indicates that the guide pins are sticky.

I would agree with that if the rears were floating calipers like the front. On the rear, there are two pistons. If one pad is worn more than the other, it does not necessarily mean that the guide pin (which fits rather loosely) was sticking. A difference of 20% is not uncommon, but you would expect to see practically even wear normally.

The piston seal and boot does require lubrication when assembled. The guide pins for the rear call for no lubrication. A build-up of brake dust on the pins can cause sticking.

If the mechanic in this case did "lubricate" the pistons as he said he did, he should have dissassembled the calipers. In doing so, it would have been the perfect time to replace the relatively inexpensive seals all together. Having to dissassemble the calipers would mean having to bleed the brakes (at least the rears) as well. If all this was done for the stated cost, it doesn't sound like a bad deal.