Power Steering Lines Leaking.

calean007

I noticed that indeed my power steering lines are leaking and will need to be replaced. I don't have a repair manual for the car, because it's too dang expensive.

So my question is, how hard is it to replace the power steering lines on a 92 LS 400? What's involved and are there any special tools I need?

I believe the pump itself is fine, but just the lines leaking....

I noticed that indeed my power steering lines are leaking and will need to be replaced.  I don't have a repair manual for the car, because it's too dang expensive.

So my question is, how hard is it to replace the power steering lines on a 92 LS 400?  What's involved and are there any special tools I need?

I believe the pump itself is fine, but just the lines leaking....

Try cleaning everything up as best you can, maybe pressure-wash the area. Or, get in there with towels and dry it all off. Find someone to help you; with the car running, turn the wheel back and forth, watching for leaks. A fitting or seal on the pump is probably leaking, and the fluid is running down the lines.

Just a thought.... Lines are NOT cheap!

hello, check this thread number 11269

That just takes me back here???? Is this a joke?

jade - Not to sound dense, but where specifically should I be looking for the leak. Around the pump itself, or down where the lines connect to the wheels? Some more help for an idiot like me would be great...

O.k. I did some cleaning up last night, albeit haphazardly. I saw some fluid around the bolt on the back of the resevoir. I looked on the hoses and only on the left side of the engine as you look at it on those lines to I see fluid and gunk buildup. However, I noticed that the fluid crap is on that bolt.

I didn't get it up into the air, because that's this afternoon. I'm thinking about attacking the clogged solenoid filter issue first as a search on the topic seems to reveal that usually that's one of the main issues. My question is, if I just want to remove the solenoid, do I have to remove the alternator to get at it?

Also, I've been thinking this could just be a case of a loose connector somewhere. So far, the lines seem to be good, rubber and steel rods...

Well, I got it up in the air, and really, I had a hard time finding the leak, but all eyes kept going back to that banjo bolt where the line connects into the ps unit.

Well, I had to take it back to the shop because yes, the alternator yesterday went to the crapper. Fortunately, they warrantied it out including labor and that cost me nothing.

The source of the leak I found out today is easiest when you use some dye. Sure enough, I was right about that banjo bolt. Apparently the crush washers inside were kaput and they just replaced it and charged me only the labor.

However, on the way home, I found out that my conversion to R134a, while successful, apparently I have a leak in the system due to it stopping to blow cold air. The blowers still work and everything, but I think it's a leak in the line itself, or possibly an O ring.

Anyway, I would have fixed the PS issue, but since I had to get the alternator replaced, might as well let the mechanic get dirty...

Thanks for all the help folks!