O1 Ls430 Shakes While Backing Up

boRXis

Hi folks! Friend of mine has nice 01 430 with 54K on it. Sometimes when he backing up the car shakes, it seems like he pushes and releases accelerator rapidly, but he holds the gas pedal steady. Dealer couldn't find anything. Tranny? :wacko: Torque converter? :wacko:

Well, that's a first! I've never heard of this before. It sounds like the engine is missing. Has he flushed the tranny fluid recently? Tune up, that sort of stuff? What kind of fuel is he running? Maybe he's getting bad gas with water in it. That happens more often than not. But in reverse only? That's a new one. Sorry man, I haven't a clue.

Well, that's a first! I've never heard of this before. It sounds like the engine is missing. Has he flushed the tranny fluid recently? Tune up, that sort of stuff? What kind of fuel is he running? Maybe he's getting bad gas with water in it. That happens more often than not. But in reverse only? That's a new one. Sorry man, I haven't a clue.

Thanks! Yeah, I've never seen something like that before :blink:

It's also feels like he pushes and releases brakes while backing up... VSC?

Only in reverce :(

• 1 year later...

My 2002 GS300 does this, as well, but only on occasion. Am having my tech check it out at next service and will post if I learn anything.

Thanks! Yeah, I've never seen something like that before :blink:

It's also feels like he pushes and releases brakes while backing up... VSC?

Only in reverce :(

A couple of years ago I test drove a 02 LS off the Lexus dealers lot, this was a low mileage car and it did the same thing. In reverse it kind of was jerking. I told the dealer and left, forgot about it until this post. It felt like the transmission.

• 3 months later...
A couple of years ago I test drove a 02 LS off the Lexus dealers lot, this was a low mileage car and it did the same thing. In reverse it kind of was jerking. I told the dealer and left, forgot about it until this post. It felt like the transmission.

I had the same problem with my 01 LS430.... at first I thought it was the tranny, but it was odd that it only was happening when I put it in reverse. The car worked fine other than that shaking when going in reverse, so I lived with that one minor issue. Eventually I had to take the car in for new tires and to my surprise the reverse shaking was gone!.....It boiled down to the tires on the car... the Dunlops which are the OEM tire for this model was the culpurite. I assume they are uni-directional and are not meant to go in the opposite direction.

I would suggest that if that is a major issue with you to change the tires. I have put on a off brand tire called Kumos and they are soooo quiet and work well with the car.