Sc400 Overheating Problem

I just picked up my 95 SC400 a couple of weeks ago with only 65000 miles on it. It was driving perfectly until yesterday when the car started to overheat. The temperature hits the H in the guage. Any suggestions on what could cause this? It just sort of came out of nowhere. It never overheated before, up until yesterday.

The only thing I did to the car was install some new speakers, and i'm sure that it wouldn't cause my overheating problem lol.

Any insight would be appreciated =D

well with the car warmed up see if your radiator cap is hot or not, if its not that would probably mean that your thermostat is stuck.

cap is hot!

im assuming waterpump, perhaps?

i hope not =D

Open the radiator cap (when cool) and check the coolant level directly. Sounds silly, I know, but it's the first place to start. You should not have any cooling fins visible above the coolant. If the coolant level is low and the over flow tank is full, check the hose to the overflow tank and make sure it's not cracked or split.

You may have a bad water temp sending unit. If you start the car and let it warm up at idle and the temp seems okay, drive around a bit, keeping an eye on the temp gauge. If it rises very quickly then you know it's probably the sending unit.

I haven't seen too many water pumps that stop pumping unless there's not enough coolant to pump. If you're not leaking anywhere around the pump, I'd make it the last thing to suspect.

sluggo

Open the radiator cap (when cool) and check the coolant level directly.  Sounds silly, I know, but it's the first place to start.  You should not have any cooling fins visible above the coolant.  If the coolant level is low and the over flow tank is full, check the hose to the overflow tank and make sure it's not cracked or split.

You may have a bad water temp sending unit.  If you start the car and let it warm up at idle and the temp seems okay, drive around a bit, keeping an eye on the temp gauge.  If it rises very quickly then you know it's probably the sending unit.

I haven't seen too many water pumps that stop pumping unless there's not enough coolant to pump.  If you're not leaking anywhere around the pump, I'd make it the last thing to suspect.

sluggo

actually, driving around for a while it stays at normal operating temperature. after a while, it just starts to rise steadily to the H, and past it. it happens pretty quickly. any ideas on how to check the sending unit?

as for the coolant lvl, there's no cap on the radiator itself lol. only cap i see is on some tank, and when open, it's full.

thanks again!

if there are no leaks which you would see after the car has cooled if its the water pump. try do a flush. if you havent changed coolant in a couple of years it could be that the corrosion inhibiting properties of the coolant has been used up and it is starting to corode and um wait ... you live in hawaii too... i had a problem with minor overheating in my previa van(92) like 3 years ago. i couldnt figure it out untill i looked at the radiator which simply needed to be replaced because the fins on the radiator had simply corroded off because of the salt air. be prepared to pay about 400 bucks. or give me a call. i can get it cheaper for you because i have an account if you want OEM. anyway take a look at your radiator. usually towards the bottom, leafs and dirt collect and you have a small garden ^_^ and moisture really gets to the aluminum.

• 8 years later...

i had the same problem. try to jack up the front end and let the car run they had a very tricky set up and air bubbles get stuck and over heat your car. if that does work take it to dealer ship or get a hold of me some how and i can help u trouble shoot more things i know of

• 3 weeks later...