Transmission

Kennyr

My 91 with 145k has had nothing but Toyota ATF in it since 80k when I bought it. Before that it had one owner with all Lexus dealer services. I have totally flushed this fluid every 20k myself. Within the last year the upshifts have been getting hard. Even though there was only 12,000 miles on the fluid in my box I flushed it again Sat. with BG universal synthetic ATF 10 Qts.(Says good for Lexus right on the bottles). The Toy brand fluid that came out was clean like new. Anyway believe it or not I have got the smoothest upshifts now, no kick. I didn't really think anything was going to change but I gave it a shot and it worked like magic. I have read in an archive article how someone claimed the Amsoil or Redline ATF will make your shifts smoother if your having a problem. Bottom line I am real happy. I also Flushed my pr steering fluid, with Dextron 111, flushed my brake fluid with a pr bleeder and changed my fuel filter. The filter had been on there for 65k and was partially restricted and dirty. I also changed the oil with Mobile 1 synthetic. It was all good fun but the my garage clean up was brutal.

My 91 with 145k has had nothing but Toyota ATF in it since 80k when I bought it. Before that it had one owner with all Lexus dealer services. I have totally flushed this fluid every 20k myself. Within the last year the upshifts have been getting hard. Even though there was only 12,000 miles on the fluid in my box I flushed it again Sat. with BG universal synthetic ATF 10 Qts.(Says good for Lexus right on the bottles). The Toy brand fluid that came out was clean like new. Anyway believe it or not I have got the smoothest upshifts now, no kick. I didn't really think anything was going to change but I gave it a shot and it worked like magic. I have read in an archive article how someone claimed the Amsoil or Redline ATF will make your shifts smoother if your having a problem. Bottom line I am real happy. I also Flushed my pr steering fluid, with Dextron 111, flushed my brake fluid with a pr bleeder and changed my fuel filter. The filter had been on there for 65k and was partially restricted and dirty. I also changed the oil with Mobile 1 synthetic. It was all good fun but the my garage clean up was brutal.

How expensive is the BG universal syn? My '90 gets occasional vibration while accelerating and I think it's the tranny shuddering. How often have you changed the tranny filter?

john

Good to know.....I'm going to be switching from Toyota IV to Amsoil ATF soon myself. B)

:cheers:

Good to know.....I'm going to be switching from Toyota IV to Amsoil ATF soon myself. B)

The Pan has never been off the Transmission. I dont intend to remove it either now that My shifts are smooth. The BG fluid is about 8 bucks a qt. I got mine for 5.50 since I used to work at this dealer and they still take care of me. Volvo changed to their own over priced synthetic fluid in 01 cars for an ungodly price. My old dealer fought with Volvo to qualify the BG universal as an adequate replacement. Volvo reluctantly approved after testing it and this large dealer uses the BG ATF for all its flushes. For all I know BG could be buying it from Ansoil and rebranding it!

The Pan has never been off the Transmission. I dont intend to remove it either now that My shifts are smooth. The BG fluid is about 8 bucks a qt. I got mine for 5.50 since I used to work at this dealer and they still take care of me. Volvo changed to their own over priced synthetic fluid in 01 cars for an ungodly price. My old dealer fought with Volvo to qualify the BG universal as an adequate replacement. Volvo reluctantly approved after testing it and this large dealer uses the BG ATF for all its flushes. For all I know BG could be buying it from Ansoil and rebranding it!

That is possible. B)

Did you ever replace the tranny pan gasket when you switched over to synthetic? It's not a bad idea as a preventitive measure. ;)

That is possible. B)

Did you ever replace the tranny pan gasket when you switched over to synthetic? It's not a bad idea as a preventitive measure. ;)

When something leaks I fix it, not before. Synthetic oil isn't going to make it leak. I hope! So far I have never had any kind of leak except a couple a/c o rings on this car with 145k, and I do hate leaking cars.

When something leaks I fix it, not before. Synthetic oil isn't going to make it leak. I hope! So far I have never had any kind of leak except a couple a/c o rings on this car with 145k, and I do hate leaking cars.

Was just courious is all. B)