Vibration At 60mph

I just purchased a new "Wanli" tire for my 17 inch factory chrome rims, when on the highway at about 60mph I start to get a vibration in the steering wheel, but once I get to 70 - 80 mph the vibration is gone......now one thing I can say is that all of my tires hav about 80 % tread left on them, they are all the same size, do you think that since the "wanli" is not the same brand it would case this problem?

One thing that might be wrong is the balance on the tire. But one questions is why did you buy a new tire. Did it pop on a pot hole?

I can tell you from experience. If balancing the tire does not help. Then your rim is bent.

Usually when the rim is bent the vibration shows up at 60mph and goes away at 80mph. If balancing does not help get the rim staightened out. For a 17 in. rim. If you bring it to a shop without the tire it shouldn't cost more than $100.

Exactly what I am experiencing... :cries: Very odd that it is most prominent at 60MPH. You'd figure that a bent wheel would thud progressively louder as speed increased -- not smooth out.

BTW -- How did you deal with the "hub-centric" issues with your 20s? I was told that can be part of the problem as well -- since the Lexus stock rim uses a hub-centric style for balance.

-elc.

One thing that might be wrong is the balance on the tire.  But one questions is why did you buy a new tire.  Did it pop on a pot hole?

I can tell you from experience.  If balancing the tire does not help.  Then your rim is bent. 

Usually when the rim is bent the vibration shows up at 60mph and goes away at 80mph.  If balancing does not help get the rim staightened out.  For a 17 in. rim.  If you bring it to a shop without the tire it shouldn't cost more than $100.

Exactly what I am experiencing... :cries: Very odd that it is most prominent at 60MPH. You'd figure that a bent wheel would thud progressively louder as speed increased -- not smooth out.

BTW -- How did you deal with the "hub-centric" issues with your 20s? I was told that can be part of the problem as well -- since the Lexus stock rim uses a hub-centric style for balance.

-elc.

What do you mean "hub centric"?

One thing that might be wrong is the balance on the tire.  But one questions is why did you buy a new tire.  Did it pop on a pot hole?

I can tell you from experience.  If balancing the tire does not help.  Then your rim is bent. 

Usually when the rim is bent the vibration shows up at 60mph and goes away at 80mph.  If balancing does not help get the rim staightened out.  For a 17 in. rim.  If you bring it to a shop without the tire it shouldn't cost more than $100.

I brought a new tire because my old one had a bubble, this is why it seems so strange, when I had the tire with the bubble on it I got only a little vibration, compared to now with a new one. :angry: I am angry because I want that smooth lexus ride, hope I don't have to go back to my stock 16's

>> What do you mean "hub centric"?

It's the balance point of the rim. Check these sites:

http://www.miata.net/garage/hubcentric.html

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat...centric⊂=how

Basically, wheel manufacturers want their rims to fit many different vehicles, so when mounted, they often have a gap between the center of the wheel and the hub.

Lexus balances wheels by fitting them snug to the hub, but with this gab here, it turns it into "lug centric" -- where the rim is balanced on the lugs instead (which can obviously cause wobble and vibration.)

Luckily, you can find some rings that fit around the hub and fill this gap -- curing the entire problem. :)

BTW, this is the best price I've seen on the rings we would need:

http://www.ezaccessory.com/.sc/ms/dd/11146...Toyota%20Suzuki

Anyway, I just had two rims that were slightly bent fixed and these hubcentric centering rings installed. I'll let everyone know how it worked out. I will say that the wheel shop owner said that the hubcentric/lubcentric issue is often more of a big deal than even a bent rim!

(Note to self -- don't buy any more rims off of ebay.) :censored:

-elc.

If you have aftermarket rims definitely order the hubcenters! However, the original poster had OEM rims, so the hubcenters won't help him <_<

so I should bu these if I put 20's on my gs4

Only if your rims are not hubcentric. Many are not so you will probably need these but just in case, check because there are some companies like HRE that will produce hubcentric rims.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have aftermarket rims definitely order the hubcenters! However, the original poster had OEM rims, so the hubcenters won't help him <_<

so I should bu these if I put 20's on my gs4

Only if your rims are not hubcentric. Many are not so you will probably need these but just in case, check because there are some companies like HRE that will produce hubcentric rims.

I have the same problem after getting new tires on my gs400. Discount Tire said one rim was possibly bent - where can you take a rim to get it fixed? I have the same vibration as the original poster and in the same mph ranges. I have 17 stock chrome rims also. Will the centering rings help me at all or should I take the rim to a shop to have it fixed?

Wagsy