Valve Clearance Adjustment,

dave94ls

hey guys

i got sick of the rattling at a dead stop so i have torn into the vehicle with guidance from monarch and some threads on this site. heres my question.

i have access to about half of the valve clearances, how do i turn the cams so i can measure the rest?

thanks

btw on the right side i have one valve out of specs by a decent margin

looking forward to finding out whats on the left..

Dave

There's also a 24mm hex built on the cams that you can turn with a wrench. The last intake lifter on the driver's side head, near the firewall is also notorious to go bad due to poor oiling in that area.

There's also a 24mm hex built on the cams that you can turn with a wrench. The last intake lifter on the driver's side head, near the firewall is also notorious to go bad due to poor oiling in that area.

When you say "go bad", you mean out of adjustment, or bad=needs replacement?

I have found a easier way of getting those shims out. I tried doing the screwdriver with the tape thing and that did not seem to work as well for me. What did work for me however is turning the bolts that hold in the cam about a 1/4 inch then take a pry bar to lift the cam ever so slightly. I removed 6 shims in under 5 mins.

your posts have been great help thanks. I would do a tutorial myself, but I would like a few shim jobs under my belt before i train others lol :cheers:

Be careful prying on those camshafts because they are hollow and the Lexus service manual warns they could break if stressed by improper handling.

In an automotive junkyard I pryed on the camshaft of a Toyota Corolla and it suddenly snapped in two !!

Be careful prying on those camshafts because they are hollow and the Lexus service manual warns they could break if stressed by improper handling. 

In an automotive junkyard I pryed on the camshaft of a Toyota Corolla and it suddenly snapped in two !!

yea i was unsure but i could have popped them up with a small screewdriver. well built cars!

I have to replace 4, 6 where out of spec and 2 where able to be swapped. 8 dollars at the toyota dealer, lexus wanted 14!

The lifter that hold the shim becomes damaged over time on the #7 intake side. The steel insert that pushes on the intake valve gets pressed towards the shim. This will cause the lifter to sag lower on the valve increasing clearance.