Help Needed, Smog Woes...1990 Ls400

deepcdiver

First my car passed smog but I could not get the Ca. cert because the engine light would not come on. The light was burnt out so I replaced it, but then it would not go off. Took to dealer to get code read, they said the check engine sensor was OK and the oxygen sensors were "probably" OK but I would need to bring back to get the EGR pipe cleaned out (carbon).

Had EGR pipe cleaned, light came on after 20 mi. I reset the light just outside a smog cert to see if I could at least get the cert....but NOW it fails the smog emissions test.

Prior to all this I had the "usual" egr pipr crack but never fixed it, the car always passed smog. Now I think I have to deal with it to trouble shoot why the car will not pass emissions test (maybe the crack in the egr pipe is problematic now that the carbon was cleaned out?). This is expensive! I peered at what parts of the EGR tube I could with a mirror on a telescopic arm, could not see the crack I have been told of. Does it usually occur in the same place on all these cars? I'm a cheap *BLEEP* and would like to try sealing it with JB Weld if possible or something else, but cannot find the crack...

Any advice is appreaciated! Oh Yeah, the car is a 1990 LS400 with 165k miles, original O2 sensors as far as I know. And if I need new O2 sensors I have seen two types of aftermarket 3-wire sensors, for about $150 each or $50 each, will the cheaper ones work? I plan on selling the car in a year.

Thanks!

No one has had any complaints that I'm aware of regarding the $50 02 sensors - they're generally universal and need to be butt-spliced to the harness from the car (which, for some reason, adds at least $30 to the price if it's included).