Air Conditioner Problem

ekajrellim

I have a 1991 ls400 which is a great car, except the blower (fan) does not work all of the time, but does work some of the time. How do I make it work all of the time? Does anyone share this experience or have solved this problem?

If you've set the climate control to "AUTO" the blower will only come on when the temperature is not within the set range. However, if you select a blower speed (hi, med, low) the blower should remain constantly on.

When is it that your blower isn't working?

I've got a problem with my LS430 too. If the car sits for awhile (regardless of engine temp) the A/C compressor stops working. The A/C fan still spins though. Dealer says entire wiring harness, controller, compressor, and fan need to be replaced (basically they have no idea).

Any give me a hand as to where to start troubleshooting? The A/C is fully charged. Does the compressor have an independant temp sensor?

thanks for the quick reply. Nope, everything on the inside looks fine (i.e. no blinking or switching in the interior control panels).

I'll take a look at those wires. Any hints as to what i should be reading off of them? or just voltage?

My Mechanic told me the connector usually can go bad due to dirt and grime because it is under the compressor. Just clean it with some contac spray. The problem usually shows up with a blinking ac light. Which some people diagnose as a bad compressor. Could be either one. In your case a gauge set up on high and low end can tell you if it is the expansion valve, which sounds more likely since the light is not blinking.

In my 92, when the auto button is off and I set the blower to MED setting, I noticed that sometimes the blower blows faster and other times it blows very little air. This problem is present ever since I bought the car 3 years ago. Is this a feature in the LS that automatically adjusts the fan speed to maintain a constant cabin temperature, or is there something wrong with my climate control unit? I had the Auto button off all the time though.

Even with the Auto button off, the climate control still adjusts the fan based upon cabin temperature and the setting of the temp button. I know because my a/c compressor needs to be replaced so i have been running with the climate control AUTO button off and the car adjusts the fan (and heat on cold days) to match the temp setting i have selected. Hope that helps.

Even with the Auto button off, the climate control still adjusts the fan based upon cabin temperature and the setting of the temp button. I know because my a/c compressor needs to be replaced so i have been running with the climate control AUTO button off and the car adjusts the fan (and heat on cold days) to match the temp setting i have selected. Hope that helps.

Update: However, if you press a fan speed button the fan should stay at that speed until changed by pressing another button, or turning off.

I to have and AC problem, the little green lite above the AC button, blinks all the time. Car sat for a couple of months. It was fine when I used it last fall, but maybe on the weak side. The owners manual says compressor and bring it to the dealer. Does it just need a charge? What should I be looking for. Don't mean to hijack the thread but seems related.

Thanks,

Bob

If it needed a charge the light would not blink because the compressor would not kick in because of a pressure switch in the line. It would stay green when turned on. Blinking is usually the compressor. Either bad or the speed feedback wires underneath the compressor.