93 Sc400

Has anyone retro-fitted their R12 AC system to the new R134A system?

I turned the AC on today and it was only a couple degrees cooler than the ambient temperature.

:cheers:

I just procured a black SC400 with that retrofit. I live in sunny, hot FLA and to be frank, R134a works, but doesn't have the BTU heat removal capacity of R12. It suffers and would not be acceptable for such a vehicle if delivered (new) from a dealer this way. The car takes about 15-20 mins to cool down the cockpit.

It's something you gotta live with. Newer vehicles using R134a have added capacity designed into the R134a AC system to compensate and create the same 3-ton BTU capacity as R12. However, unless you're living in Yuma, AZ, it should provide cooling relief. Sounds like you're undercharged or the expansion valve is not working. I recommend some qualified opinions, but don't jump at the first recommendation. Get a consensus.

BTW, I'm dreading summer, it's just around the corner. I may be driving my R12-loaded STS on hot days or when I just have short trips.