Power Antenna

jaz

This morning My power antenna made a funny noise and stopped retracting and going up. I pulled it out to see the long white piece with teeth had broken in half. I am wondering how to get the rest out so that I can insert the new antenna, any suggestions? It sounds like the motor is still running.

This morning My power antenna made a funny noise and stopped retracting and going up.  I pulled it out to see the long white piece with teeth had broken in half.  I am wondering how to get the rest out so that I can insert the new antenna,  any suggestions?  It sounds like the motor is still running.

Here is instructions that came with a new antenna I got:

Have a helper turn your radio on while you stand at the fender and feed the old mast and drive cable out. When its close to all the way out, you will see the nylon drive cable coming up, grab the cable and help it out.

****If it will not come out that way (the last couple inches pull back at the last second)

Step One :

Make Sure Outer Fender Slotted Nut is Removed

Position Helper In Cockpit

You Stand at Fender wearing old Work Shirt and Gloves

Have Helper Turn Radio OFF (wait 30 Seconds)

Have Helper Hold the "AM" and "DSC" Radio Buttons in at the same time as turning the Radio on.

Radio Display Will Flash "ANT."

Antenna drive cable will come fully out without pulling back at the last second****

Once Mast and Drive Cable are Removed :

Compare the drive cable length on the new mast to the old drive cable.

If the same length, skip this next paragragh.

If your old drive cable is shorter, then it is likely that some of it is

still in the motor. You may be able to see it and fish it out through

the hole in the fender.

You may have to remove the entire motor unit and disassamble the motor

body to remove the broken drive cable piece.Once the motor is free and

clear of debris and the motor is re-mounted :

Feed the new drive cable into the shaft of the antenna, you will feel

the motor grab the cable and it will retract. Replace the Outer Fender

Mounting Nut and you are all done.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Feed the new drive cable into the shaft of the antenna and have your helper turn the radio off, Bounce it around a couple times and you will feel the motor grab the cable (Forcefully) and it will retract. Replace the Outer Fender Mounting Nut and you are all done. (It may take 4-5 Radio On/Offs to get it to seat fully)

If any of your old gear is broken inside the antenna motor, the motor will need to be removed and the broken part of the gear extracted.

(the motor housing is under no tension and there are no springs or anything that will come out)

90% of the time, its the 5-10 minute job.

If you need to "go in" email or call me for additional support.

Hope that helps,

Flashjet

It is also a good idea to clean the antenna at least as often as you clean your car to help prolong its life. What you don't want to do is oil it because this will just cause dirt to stick to it and it will stop working even faster.