Please Advice On The Repair Costs

Hello All,

I recently bought a '97 ES300 with 63K miles on it. Bought it from a private party. The car wasn't driven much in the last 2 years. It was driven only ~100 miles in the past one year and about 2000 miles in the prior year.

I have some repairs lined up. I took it to the fairfield, CT lexus dealer for an estimate. I need your advice on the cost of these repairs. I would also like to know which of the work mentioned below should be done at a dealership vs an independant shop.

1. Front calipers have seized. Even though the spring moves freely, the calipers appear stuck, most likely since the car wasn't drive much for the past one year. I can feel that my brakes are not good. The brake pads have 70% lining remaining. The dealership cost to replace the 2 front calipers and resurface rotors is $1100.

2. The axle boot on the driver side is cracked. The inner joint is losing grease. Cost for repair $400.

3. There is a gasket under the engine that is leaking oil. The leak is very minor and I might have some time to replace it. Cost for replacing the gasket valve $550.

4. The power steering pump might possibly need replacement. I would know only after replacing the gasket. If it needs replacement, cost would be $550.

5. The rear suspension might need replacement in the future. I have the adjustable suspension (AVS). While driving in sport mode, I can hear a "thumping" noise coming from the rear passenger side. While in comfort mode, the car doesn't hold too steady when going over bumps. The dealer said the struts are not leaking, so they are safe to drive. They may be getting weak, but don't need replacement now. In future, if I do need to replace them, how much should I expect to pay at a dealer vs an independant shop. Would it be much cheaper if I replace all 4 struts with standard ones.

I need to do the front brake job immediately. The dealer estimate of $1100 to replace calipers and resurface rotors seems too high. Please advice if I should get this job done at the dealer or a local shop. How much could I save at a local shop? While I am replacing the calipers, should I just replace the rotors and pads? If I do it at a local shop, should I buy the OEM parts from the dealer? Does anyone know of a decent shop in fairfield county, CT or westchester county, NY?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your help.

hi. 1100 for calipers and resurfacing is crazy you should find a toyota dealer or a respected mechanic in your town and you should save at least 50%. myself i would buy the parts at toyota making sure they are interchangeable and spend the rest of the money at the final 4 lol by they way how much did you pay for this car? I just bought a 97 es with all options for 7500 picture in my profile. d.w.

:cheers:

They don't call it the "Stealership" for nothing - those prices are through the roof. A Toyota stealer will probably be similarly priced. Are you sure you need your rotors resurfaced? I know the caliper is seized, but there is a chance that it didn't warp the rotors.

Get a 2nd opinion from an indeoendent mechanic and don't mention anything that dealership said to you when you ask him to look at those things. I'd bet his opinion would be different and his prices should be about 1/2. Unless you have a warranty, deep pockets, or need a loaner the stealership is the last place I'd ever take my car for repairs. They always try to upsell you on repairs and replace more than they need to just to be "safe". (It's like replacing your entire PC because your keyboard is broken)